Elective bronchoscopies are scheduled on Tuesdays and Fridays in the Bronchoscopy Suite, intensive care units, and operating rooms. In general, you can ask the inpatient attending which procedures you should observe. Suggested activities include:
- Observe bronchoscopy for evaluation of atelectasis or to obtain cultures in CF; look at a cytospin slide from a CF patient’s bronchoalveolar lavage fluid
- Observe bronchoscopic evaluation for stridor or other upper airway obstruction
- Observe bronchoscopic evaluation for chronic wheezing
- Observe tracheostomy evaluation
- Observe fiberoptic intubation in children with critical airways
- Attend meetings of the multidisciplinary Children’s Airway Center (Tuesday mornings at 7:30 am in the 6-Children’s conference room), where providers from the Pulmonary, ENT, GI, and Speech Therapy services review complex airway cases.