The Department of Pediatrics endorses the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s and the UNC School of Medicine’s commitment to create and sustain an environment that values variety in perspectives and experiences. The Department promotes an inclusive environment for all faculty, staff, learners, patients and families. Diversity is integral to the mission of the Pediatric Department. We define diversity to include, but not be limited to, race, ethnicity, gender (to include gender identity and gender expression), sexual orientation, religion, age, and national and geographic origin. In addition, we will recognize diversity amongst our patients and their families and promise to provide a supportive and caring environment in which they receive their medical care.
We are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. The UNC Department of Pediatrics Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion committee is dedicated to a diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health Care vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
Our goals include:
• Create a workforce (staff, learners, faculty) that is representative of North Carolina
• Educate faculty, learners and staff on DEI issues
• Care for patients and their families in a culturally sensitive manner
Our initiatives introduced include:
- Monthly newsletters
- Town hall meetings
- Grand round topics on diversity
- Representation on all search committees from the DEI committee
- DEI efforts tied to reappointments and promotions
- Chair of committee meets with each group of intern applicants
- Chair of committee meets with each new faculty member