The UNC Endocrinology and Diabetes Program has developed a competency-based core curriculum which encompasses patient centered learning, didactic learning and mentored research training.
Patient Care offers fellows the opportunity to acquire a cohort of patients to follow throughout their years as fellows, allowing them to gradually increase their competence and independence as clinicians, under the direct supervision of the attending faculty.
- Two major practice settings
– UNC Hospitals
– UNC Specialty Clinic at Raleigh
- Active Continuity Clinics
– Diverse patient population treated
- Inpatient Consultation Service
– Medical and surgical units
– Active critical care units
Didactic Learning is varied and includes:
- Coverage of key topics through a Board Review seminar for fellows (weekly)
- Fundamentals of endocrinology seminar series (yearly)
- Pediatric Grand Rounds (weekly)
- Case conference (weekly)
- Journal club (quarterly)
- Combined adult and pediatric endocrinology conference (weekly)
- All fellows attend the annual PES meeting
- Genetics and Radiology rounds
- Invited speakers
Fellows presentmany of the above didactic sessions allowing them to develop skills in critical appraisal of the literature and formal presentations.
Mentored research training is an essential part of our training program. Fellows join multidisciplinary research teams to address important clinical questions.
- All fellows choose a faculty mentor, based on their interest, who will guide them through their research training.
- Opportunities available in both clinical and basic research
- Training in research methods, biostatistics, IRB procedures, data analysis and interpretation, research ethics, and writing skills.
- All fellows attend research core curriculum designed as a means for trainees to gain access to coursework in competencies that are critical to become a successful physician investigator. These include:
- Appreciation of the multidisciplinary roles of various research team members and elements of highly effective teams
- Completion of Responsible Conduct of Research training
- Understanding methodological and analytical strategies resulting in appropriately designed protocols
- Participation in professional development activities that teach skills such as scientific writing, oral presentation, grant writing and mentoring