The UNC Pediatric Pulmonology Training Program is typically a three-year program, although we are open to non-traditional fellowship training programs including combined fellowships with adult Pulmonary or Pediatric Intensive Care Medicine or fast track programs as outlined by the ABP.
The curriculum includes three core elements: clinical service, education and conferences, and scholarly activity. The typical clinical schedule for a three-year fellowship is as follows:
- 16-20 weeks inpatient/consult service
- 1 full clinic/week (no clinic when on inpatient/consult service)
- 3 to 4 half-day bronchoscopy days per month
- 10-12 weeks inpatient/consult service
- 1 full clinic/week
- 2 to 4 half-day bronchoscopy days per month
- 4-8 weeks inpatient/consult service
- ½ to 1 full clinic/week (depending on research vs. clinical focus)
- 1 to 4 half-day bronchoscopy days per month
The curriculum does have some flexibility to accommodate special research training needs; the program is happy to discuss alternative curricula with interested applicants to ensure ACGME requirements are met.