Previous/Ongoing Research Collaborations:
c-VEDA (Consortium on Vulnerability to Externalizing Disorders & Addictions)
- An ICMR – MRC grant and its main papers
- Comprises of >14.000 participants aged 0-25 years who have been genotyped
- Participants include those with high risk for substance misuse and population-based individuals from different social and environmental (rural and urban) backgrounds.
- NIMHANS Bangalore
- PGIMER, Chandigarh
- RIMH, Tezpur,
Zhang Y, Vaidya N, Iyengar U…. Schumann G; c-VEDA consortium. The Consortium on Vulnerability to Externalizing Disorders and Addictions (c-VEDA): an accelerated longitudinal cohort of children and adolescents in India. Mol Psychiatry. 2020 Mar 12. doi: 10.1038/s41380-020-0656-1.
Sharma E, Vaidya N, …., Schumann G, Benegal V; cVEDA Consortium. Consortium on Vulnerability to Externalizing Disorders and Addictions (cVEDA): A developmental cohort study protocol. BMC Psychiatry. 2020 Jan 2;20(1):2. doi: 10.1186/s12888-019-2373-3.
ADBS (Accelerator Program for Discovery in Brain Disorders using Stem Cells)
- Funded by Department of Biotechnology, Government of India
- Study of multiplex families with severe mental illnesses
- Whole exome sequencing for 300 multiplex-affected families and population controls
- NIMHANS Bangalore,
- National Centre Biological Sciences; Bangalore
- Institute for Stem Cell Science and Regenerative Medicine, Bangalore
Paul P, Iyer S, …, Viswanath B. Lithium response in bipolar disorder correlates with improved cell viability of patient derived cell lines. Nature Sci Rep. 2020 May 4;10(1):7428. Doi: 10.1038/s41598-020-64202-1.
Someshwar, A., Holla, B., Pansari Agarwal, P., Thomas, A., Jose, A., Joseph, B., … Viswanath, B. (2020). Adverse childhood experiences in families with multiple members diagnosed to have psychiatric illnesses. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry. https://doi.org/10.1177/0004867420931157
Ganesh, S., Ahmed P., H., Nadella, R.K., More, R.P., Seshadri, M., Viswanath, B., Rao, M., Jain, S., and Mukherjee, O. (2019), Exome sequencing in families with severe mental illness identifies novel and rare variants in genes implicated in Mendelian neuropsychiatric syndromes. Psychiatry Clin. Neurosci., 73: 11-19. doi:10.1111/pcn.12788
Viswanath B, Rao NP,….. Jain S. Discovery biology of neuropsychiatric syndromes (DBNS): a center for integrating clinical medicine and basic science. BMC Psychiatry. 2018 Apr 18;18(1):106. doi: 10.1186/s12888-018-1674-2.