All students, faculty, and staff are required to record any and all University-related travel abroad in the UNC Global Travel Registry. The Global Travel Registry is UNC-Chapel Hill’s central reporting and communication system for students, faculty, and staff traveling abroad.

The purpose of the registry is to facilitate communication with members of the Carolina community who may find themselves in an international crisis situation and to provide assistance. The information you provide will only be used for communication purposes in such situations.

Register your trip

To register a trip, go to the UNC Global Travel Registry and provide your contact information and your travel plans. You will need to login with your onyen.

You will be asked to provide:

  • your contact info
  • where you’re going (city, country)
  • dates of travel and stay in each city
  • emergency contact info (optional)

Mandatory Health Insurance and Evacuation

All students-undergraduate, graduate, and professional-as well as faculty, staff, and other UNC affiliates participating in university affiliated travel are required to enroll in North Carolina’s international travel coverage, provided by HTH Worldwide. University affiliated travel includes Study Abroad programs, independent and sponsored research, internships for credit, or any other program tied to university sponsorship or academic or practicum credit.

Even in emergencies, the State Health Plan does not provide significant coverage for healthcare provided abroad and should not be relied upon when traveling internationally. UNC’s international travel coverage will provide coverage in case of an emergency (accident, sickness, including medical evacuation and repatriation).

Your trip registration in the Global Travel Registry does not automatically enroll you in international HTH coverage. To enroll in HTH coverage, please contact Janet Hoernke in the Office of Risk Management at 919.962.6681 or by email at

You will be asked to fill out an insurance spreadsheet form to provide:

  • your name, birthdate, gender
  • where you’re going (city, country)
  • dates of travel and stay in each city
  • department and account number to pay fee charged
    • $1/day (students)
    • $4-5/day (faculty/staff)

You will then need to email your form to at least 2 weeks before your trip.