The Department of Pharmacology held an all day research retreat at the UNC Friday Center on March 27, 2015. Lots of very good science was presented by the three invited speakers, six oral presentations and forty-three poster presentations. Thanks to all who participated. You helped to make another successful research retreat!
- The Keynote Speaker, Dr. Christopher M. Counter, Professor of Pharmacology and Associate Professor of Oncology at Duke University, whose talk was titled “A bad penny: Copper, MEK1/2 and cancer.”
- Dr. Juan Song, Assistant Professor of Pharmacology at UNC, whose talk was titled, “Location, location, location: Visualizing in vivo dynamics of migrating neuroblasts in the adult hippocampus,”
- Dr. Jason Kralic, Founder & Principle Advisor of Innervate BD Solutions, LLC, whose talk was titled, “Career paths for the PhD pharmacologist.”
Six graduate students and postdoctoral fellows gave oral presentations: (in the order as listed on the agenda):
- Dr. Tim Stuhlmiller, postdoctoral fellow in the Johnson lab
- Kate Lansu, graduate student in the Roth lab
- Orrin Stone, graduate student in the Hahn lab
- Derek Franklin, graduate student in the Zhang lab
- Nicole Baker, graduate student in the Der lab
- Dr. Andrew Hardaway, postdoctoral fellow in the Kash lab
Besides the six oral presentations, there were forty-three poster presentations throughout the day. You can read the titles and abstracts of all the oral and poster presentation in the retreat agenda.
7 awards were given out for graduate and postdoctoral presentations: 2 for best oral presentations and 5 for best poster presentations. The award recipients will receive a gift from the department. Our congratulations to all the award recipients!
Oral Presentation Award Recipients
- Kate Lansu, Roth lab
- Tim Stuhlmiller, Johnson lab
Poster Presentation Award Recipients
- Onur Dagliyan, Hahn lab
- James Shellhammer, Dohlman lab
- Reid Olsen, Song lab
- Jonathan Sugam, Kash lab
- Jose Olivares, Johnson lab
Poster Presentation Award Winners (L to R): Jose Olivares, Onur Dagliyan, James Shellhammer , Reid Olsen and Jonathan Sugam