All application documents must be submitted through ERAS.
The following materials are required:
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- USMLE and/or COMLEX Step 1 Transcript
- Personal Statement
- Curriculum Vitae
- Medical School Transcript
Selected applicants are granted interviews based on the following:
- Academic Record
- Letters of Recommendation
- Personal Statement
- Community Service
- Demonstrated Interest in PM&R
- USMLE/COMLEX Scores
UNC Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation welcomes applicants from diverse and non-traditional backgrounds.
Christina Del Riego
- Applications through ERAS for 2016-2017 will be reviewed beginning October 1st, and applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their application by that time. Applications received after October 31st will not be reviewed. Exceptions may be made only for applicants awaiting upload of letters of recommendation. Interviews take place on selected Mondays and Fridays during November and December. Invitations are sent on a rolling basis beginning in October.
If notified for an interview, please contact us immediately, as interview offers are limited to availability.
In accordance with the ACGME and NRMP, we will not release any information regarding ranking. Applicants are ranked based on the merit of their application as well as impressions from the interview day. No preference is given to applicants with a strong stated interest in our program.
We do not offer "pre-match" employment for positions offered through the match. Additionally, we do not sponsor VISAs. The ECFMG will sponsor J-1 VISAs.
1) Do you have a minimum score for USMLE or COMLEX? There is no official minimum score, but most applicants invited to interview have passed on the first attempt.
2) Do you accept applications from Foreign Medical Graduates? Yes, we do accept applications from Foreign Medical Graduates, but outstanding credentials are often required to receive an invitation for interview. Also, all graduates of foreign medical schools must be certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates. All foreign graduates must meet all requirements of the Visa Qualifying Examination (VQE) or Foreign Medical Graduate Exam in the Medical Sciences (FMGEMS) prior to application. Per the University of North Carolina Graduate Medical Education Policy on Visas, UNC Hospitals will accept resident physicians who have been issued a J-1 visa and who hold a current ECFMG Certificate. H1-B visas are not sponsored at University of North Carolina Hospitals.
3) Do you accept osteopathic (DO) applications? Yes, we welcome osteopathic applicants. We recommend, but do not require, USMLE scores.
4) Is my USMLE/COMLEX Step 2 score required? No, this is not required at the time of application, but will be considered, if available.
5) How many PGY-1 residents are accepted each year? We accept three new PGY-1 residents at the start of each academic year.
UNC's Graduate Medical Education Website
For general information regarding our GME Office's policies, salaries, benefits, and more, please visit the Graduate Medical Education pages at UNC Health Care.