SHADOWING IN UNC PM&R
**Due to the ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, Shadowing at UNC Hospitals has been suspended indefinitely for all programs. The Jan 25. COPA guidelines do not affect the status of Shadowing programs. We apologize for any inconvenience** – Updated 2/22/2021
Thank you for your interest in shadowing our department!
- Shadowing experiences (otherwise known as observerships) in our department are currently only available to undergraduate students and first/second year medical students.
- If you are a third or fourth year medical student, our department offers several courses; please visit our medical student webpage for information on how to rotate in our department on a formal rotation.
- Our department does not currently offer shadowing experiences to MDs, DOs, or other healthcare professionals.
It is the responsibility of the student to find a PM&R physician willing to accept a Shadow Visitor; our Admin office will not arrange this for you. Typically our faculty will allow you to shadow for two visits.
If you have been approved as a Shadow Visitor by one of our faculty members, please ask that PM&R faculty member to contact our Admin Office with your agreed-upon shadow dates. Full process listed below:
- Faculty member emails PM&R Admin Office with student’s name, email address, and agreed-upon shadow date. Shadowing date should be at least one week in the future.
- Admin confirms receipt of request and sends the student tasks to complete.
- Student completes UNC Hospital’s online HIPAA exam, reads through their policies, and completes their required immunization form. (Link to UNC Hospital’s Shadowing webpage)
- Student emails Admin a forwarded copy of the completed online HIPAA exam.
- Admin contacts Volunteer Services with required information for processing.
- Student and Admin visit Volunteer Services office together to ensure all requirements have been met, turn in immunization paperwork, verify identification, pick up shadow visitor badge, and confirm that student is officially cleared to shadow.
- Admin emails the faculty member to confirm that student is cleared to shadow.
- Student shadows!