Is TMS right for me?
You may benefit from TMS Therapy if:
- You have a diagnosis of Major Depressive Disorder
- Traditional medications to treat depression haven’t worked. Individuals have generally failed 2-4 medication trials before starting TMS.
- You’re not satisfied with the results you get from your medication(s)
- You cannot tolerate the side effects of your medication(s)
- You have an illness that limits your ability to take medications for depression
- Your depression and anxiety symptoms interfere with your daily life
You may not be a candidate for TMS if:
- You have implanted metallic devices or non-removable metallic objects in or around the head. This does not include metallic fillings in teeth
- You have implants controlled by physiological signals. This includes pacemakers, implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs), and vagus nerve stimulators (VNS)
- You are at high risk such as those with epilepsy, a history of head injury, or other serious neurologic issues
For more information, please call UNC Psychiatry TMS Clinic at (984) 974-3983.