Community Access for Teen and Child Behavioral Health in Johnston County (CATCH -Johnston)
CATCH-Johnston collaborates with local schools, community partners, and primary care providers to reduce barriers to accessing behavioral health (BH) services (including psychiatric care) using virtual care. CATCH-Johnston utilizes virtual technology to provide direct care to children and families, which is, provided by a core program team of clinicians who specialize in working with children and adolescents that includes leading child and adolescent psychiatrists, to provide direct care to children and families. The team also, coordinates care by consulting with educators, and providing consultation and integration with local primary care providers.
CATCH-Johnston is funded through a grant from The Duke Endowment. A committed group of stakeholders, spanning public and private entities as well as community leaders, provides expertise and multiple levels of support. Guided by these stakeholders, CATCH-Johnston is launching multiple virtual care access points in communities throughout Johnston County.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions about CATCH-Johnston
What is CATCH-Johnston?
CATCH-Johnston offers quality behavioral health care, from UNC Health providers, at access points in the community. A CATCH-Johnston staff member or community partner will assist the child or adolescent to with accessing a video call from the community access point so a behavioral health provider can provide care via video.
How does the program work?
- Parents or guardians or adolescents can call the program intake number
- The program staff will call to gather intake information and schedule an appointment if appropriate
- The child/adolescent and a caregiver or support person over 18 (for most locations) arrive to the access point location ten minutes before the scheduled appointment
- A program or site staff will assist the child/adolescent in joining the video call with the provider
- If a prescription medication is needed, the prescription will be sent to a local pharmacy
- A note will be sent to the student’s primary care provider (local doctor) or current behavioral health provider (therapist) if applicable
How do I schedule an appointment?
To refer a child or adolescent: Call 984-974-1619, leave a message, and a CATCH-Johnston staff member will return your call (typically within 2-5 business days)
Medical providers using EPIC can refer by selecting Ambulatory Referral to Pediatric Psychiatry, UNC PSYCHIATRY CATCH JOHNSTON 
What kind of conditions are treated?
The program works best for children and adolescents who are seeking support for including:
- Persistent sadness – two or more weeks
- Withdrawing from or avoiding social interactions
- Hurting oneself or talking about hurting oneself
- Thoughts of suicide or hurting ones self
- Outbursts or irritability
- Drastic changes in mood, behavior, or personality
- Excessive worrying
- Difficulty sleeping
- Significant difficulty in concentrating or staying still
- Frequent headaches or stomach aches
- Changes in academic performance
- Avoiding or missing school
- Voices concerns or questions about sexual orientation or gender identity
- Difficulty completing daily tasks
Does insurance cover the cost of the CATCH-Johnston program?
Insurance plans are billed, and copays and deductibles apply. NC Medicaid covers the visits. Other insurance company coverage varies. It is important for parents or guardians to ask their health insurance company about coverage for behavioral telehealth care before a visit.
If you are concerned about affording the program, please ask a program representative about UNC Health’s financial assistance program as this may help offset costs for those who are eligible.
Access Site Locations, Days, and Times*
- UNC Health-Johnston Mobile Outreach Unit (bus) parked at Kenly Public Library
2nd and 4th Tuesdays from 1:00-5:00
- UNC Health-Johnston Mobile Outreach Unit (bus) parked at Benson Fire Department
1st and 3rd Thursdays from 1:00-5:00
3. Johnston County Behavioral Health Department in Smithfield
Every Thursday from 1:00-5:00
*Additional sites will be added
If you have any additional questions, please contact Charissa Gray, Program Director at Charissa_Gray@med.unc.edu
CATCH-Johnston is incredibly thankful for the faithful support of many stakeholders who offer support in numerous ways. Below are just some of the stakeholders who have shared their logo for the website: