The mission of our Department is to:
- Provide excellent and compassionate care to our patients
- Equip medical students with basic imaging knowledge
- Train future academic and private practice Radiologists
- Engage in basic and clinical research
The Department provides a wide array of diagnostic imaging tests ranging from conventional X-Ray to multi-detector CT (MDCT), 3 T MRI/S and PET. A variety of image-guided treatment choices, such as RF ablation of liver tumors, uterine fibroid embolization, kyphoplasty and occlusion of intracranial aneurysms are also available. We have a group of dynamic, dedicated faculty and staff who have made our Department one of the best in the country. Thank you again for your interest in our Department and enjoy your visit.
Matthew A. Mauro, MD
Professor and Chairman of Radiology
The Department of Radiology at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine was established in the fall of 1952 concomitant with the opening of the four-year School of Medicine in Chapel Hill. There have been only four Chairs since its inception, as follows:
The late Dr. Ernest Wood (1952 – 1965)
Native North Carolinian and renowned Neuroradiologist from Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in New York City. Beginning with 6,000 square feet in the University Hospital, Dr. Wood expanded general Radiology, initiated a Nuclear Medicine program and launched one of the state’s first Screening Mammography programs. Clinical research was initiated to assess the utility of magnification radiography, thermography and radionuclide scintigraphy. In 1965, Dr. Wood left to accept the directorship of the Radiology Department at the Neurological Institute of New York.
Dr. James Scatliff (1966 – 1991)
Neuroradiologist from Yale. Dr. Scatliff oversaw the expansion of clinical services in diagnostic Radiology, including the addition of new technologies such as Ultrasound, Computed Tomography and Magnetic Resonance Imaging. In 1987, Radiation Oncology became a separate department. Clinical volumes were increased significantly, and the total number of faculty grew from 5 in 1966 to 25 in 1991, with a gradual reduction in dependency on state appropriations. The fourth-year medical student Radiology electives were established, an animal X-Ray laboratory with fluoroscopy and a film changer were established to facilitate more basic animal studies. Dr. Scatliff announced his intention to step down in 1991. He remains a valued member of our Radiology faculty.
Dr. Joseph K.T. Lee (1991 – 2006)
Mallinckrodt-trained GI/GU Radiologist. Relocating his family from St. Louis, Dr. Joseph K.T. Lee became the third Chair of UNC Radiology. Dr. Lee reorganized the clinical enterprise into eight discrete divisions. Under his direction, new equipment was acquired and space was renovated to accommodate expanding clinical programs. He oversaw the establishment of fellowship programs in Abdominal Imaging, Breast Imaging, Neuroradiology, Nuclear Medicine and Vascular/Interventional Radiology, as well as the creation of a Division of Research. Our Abdominal Imaging section continues to benefit from Dr. Lee’s vast clinical experience and expertise.
Dr. Matthew A. Mauro (January 2007 – present)
Graduate of Cornell University in New York. Dr. Mauro has a long history here at UNC Radiology, having done both his residency and a fellowship in Diagnostic Radiology and Vascular Surgery here. In addition, Dr. Mauro did a Vascular/Interventional and Abdominal fellowship at the Mallinckrodt Institute. During his tenure as Chairman of UNC Radiology, Dr. Mauro has increased the funding of our residency program to allow for additional headcount. In conjunction with our mission statement, he has re-vamped the Department’s organizational structure to place greater emphasis on basic research. He is working collegially with other Departments on integrated technology programs to improve both the quality of our training programs and multi-disciplinary patient satisfaction.