Lauren Burke, MD, FSAR, is the Executive Vice Chair and Professor of Radiology at UNC. Dr. Burke completed her medical school training and Diagnostic Radiology Residency at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Subsequently, she completed her Abdominal Imaging Fellowship at Duke University Medical Center.
Dr. Burke became a doctor to help improve patients’ lives and advance science, especially in cancer research. She chose to pursue radiology because she loves problem-solving and putting pieces together to help clinicians diagnose, treat, and assess patients. Radiology is a key component in the patient’s journey to finding answers about what might be ailing them. Dr. Burke finds deep satisfaction in working closely with other providers to create a full picture. That complete picture can then lead to a treatment plan for the patient.
Abdominal Imaging – interpreting CT, MR, US, fluoroscopy of the abdomen and pelvis.
Dr. Burke’s research focuses on MR imaging of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), especially post-treatment assessment of HCC and the potential for recurrent/residual disease. She believes in improved detection and characterization of residual/recurrent disease or post-treatment effects following locoregional therapy of hepatocellular carcinoma. With advances in detection, she believes it will lead to Improved patient care and follow-up.
- Administrative – she enjoys the administrative portion of her job, especially concerning improving operations and efficiency. Not only do you have an impact on radiologists and hospital staff, but hopefully, the patient as well.
- Mentoring/teaching – With over ten years of professional experience, Dr. Burke loves teaching residents and mentoring junior faculty.
Philosophy of Care
Treat all patients as family members with individual attention and commitment to ensure each patient has what he/she needs to heal.
- Medical School & Residency: University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- Fellowship: Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC
Honors and Awards
- Voted to serve as a member of MSEC – UNC Medical Staff Executive Committee
- Became a Fellow of the Society of Abdominal Radiology – 3/2022
- Voted to serve as a member of the UNC Faculty Council. Term 2019-2022.
- Recipient of the UNC Radiology Bream Award for Outstanding Teaching
To view a list of Dr. Burke’s publications, click here.