Andrew Wang, MD
Office: (984) 974-0400
Fax: (984) 974- 8607
M.D., Harvard-Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Division of Health Sciences and Technology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA (2004)
Residency – Radiation Oncology, Harvard Radiation Oncology Program, Harvard Medical School (2005–2009)
BS Biology, Indiana University – Bloomington (1999) Highest Scholastic Distinction
BS Biochemistry, Indiana University – Bloomington (1999) Highest Scholastic Distinction
BA Mathematics, Indiana University – Bloomington (1999) Highest Scholastic Distinction
Academic Honors and Awards
2017 UNC Health Care and Faculty Physicians Award for Carolina Care Excellence
2016 UNC Health Care and Faculty Physicians Award for Carolina Care Excellence
2011 ASTRO Biology Basic Science Research Abstract Award
2010 ASTRO Junior Faculty Basic Science Research Abstract Award
2008 ASTRO Translational Research Meeting Travel Grant
2008 ASTRO Resident Poster Recognition Award (Biology)
2001 Howard Hughes Medical Institute Research Fellowship for Medical Students
2000 Betty and Doris Barrett Scholarship, Harvard Medical School
1998 Thomas Payne Biology Scholarship, Department of Biology, Indiana University
1998 Lewis Bartling Scholarship, College of Arts and Sciences, Indiana University
1998 John Grimes Chemistry Scholarship, Indiana University
1998 Phi Beta Kappa National Honor Society
1998 Blue Key National Honor Society
1998 Herman B. Wells Scholarship (Full tuition merit scholarship), Indiana University
1997 Honors Division Research Scholarship, Indiana University
1997 Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society Scholarship
1996 Honors Division Faculty Scholarship, Indiana University
1994 National Science Foundation Summer Research Fellowship
Clinical Trials (Active)
- IRB #16-0434 (LCCC #1604) Culture of Circulating Tumor Cells Isolated from Cancer Patients with Metastatic Disease. PrincipaI Investigator (PI).
- IRB #14-0374 (LCCC #1408) Investigation of Circulating Tumor Cells from Cancer Patients Undergoing Radiation Therapy. Co-Investigator.
- IRB #16-2873 (LCCC #1636) Using PROMIS as part of routine clinical care for racially diverse prostate and bladder cancer patients. Co-Investigator.
- IRB #14-1999. Biomarker-Based Radiation Dosimetry Project. PI
- IRB #15-2169. Exploratory Study of the CytoRADx System as a Biodosimeter. PI
- R01CA178748 (Wang). NIH/NCI. Nanoparticle formulations of DNA repair inhibitors to improve chemoradiotherapy. This project aims to develop and evaluate nanoparticle formulations of DNA repair inhibitors to improve chemoradiotherapy for cancer. Role: PI.
- 1U54CA198999. NCI/NIH Center for Cancer Nanotechnology Excellence. (Huang/Tepper). Nano Approaches to Modulate Host Cell Response for Cancer Therapy – Project 3: Combining Radiotherapy and Nanotechnology for Immunotherapy. To combine concepts from several disciplines: nanotechnology, immune therapy and radiotherapy, in developing a novel strategy to improve cancer immunotherapy. Role: PI.
- T32 CA196589-01 (Kabanov). Carolina Cancer Nanotechnology Training Program (C-NTP). Role: Co-Director.
- CA150391 (Wang). Department of Defense Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs-Peer Reviewed Cancer Research Program Idea Award with a Special Focus. Tissue-Engineered Cancer Metastasis to Improve the Abscopal Effect and Cancer Immunotherapy in Melanoma. Role: PI.
- Accuray (Wang). Investigation of Circulating Tumor Cells as a Biomarkder of Response in Cancer Patients Undergoing Radiosurgery for Oligometastasis(es). To examine whether CTC is a predicative biomarker for radiosurgery response. Role: PI.