Bhisham Chera, MD
Associate Professor; Associate Chair of Clinical Operations and Improvement; Director of Patient Safety and Quality
Office: (984) 974-0400
Fax: (984) 974-8607
Head and Neck Oncology
MD Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC (2000 – 2004)
Residency – Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Florida Shands Cancer Center Gainesville, FL (2005 – 2009)
BS (Biology) Winthrop University, Rock Hill, SC (1997 – 2000)
ABR Board Certified in Radiation Oncology (2010)
ABR Oral Boards, Passed (2010)
ABR Clinical Written Boards, Passed (2009)
ABR Radiobiology and Physics Written Boards, Passed (2008)
USMLE Step 3, Passed (2004)
USMLE Step 2, Passed (2003)
USMLE Step 1, Passed (2002)
Academic Honors and Awards
2017 UNC Health Care and Faculty Physicians Award for Carolina Care Excellence
2016 UNC Health Care and Faculty Physicians Award for Carolina Care Excellence
2015 ARRO Educator of the Year
2015 UNC Radiation Oncology Excellence in Teaching Award
2015 UNC Health Care and UNC Faculty Physicians Award for Carolina Care Excellence
2014 UNC Radiation Oncology Excellence in Teaching Award
2012 UNC Radiation Oncology Excellence in Teaching Award
2011 NIH Loan Repayment Program
2009 University of Florida/Shands Hospital Resident Teacher Award
2009 Roentgen Resident/Fellow Research Award
2001–2004 M. Gordon Howle, MD Scholarship
2001–2004 Rich Scholarship
2004 All American Scholar
2004 Alpha Omega Alpha
2004 Thomas Holbrook Award
2002 Distinguished Essay Award Immunology
2001 Health Professions Research Stipend
1) AHRQ, Grant # 1R18HS023458, “Simulation Based Training to Enhance Patient Safety in Radiation Oncology.” September 2014 to August 2017. Co-investigator.
2) NIH, Grant # R 01 CA158925-01, “Integration of Endoscopic and CT Data for Radiation Therapy,” April 2013 to March 2018. Principal Investigator.
Clinical Trials (Active)
- RTOG 1008 (IRB #11-0381). A Randomized Phase II/III Study of Adjuvant Concurrent Radiation and Chemotherapy versus Radiation Alone in Resected High-Risk Malignant Salivary Gland Tumors. Principal Investigator
- LCCC# 1413 (IRB# 14-1795): De-intensification of Radiation and Chemotherapy for Low-Risk HPV-related Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Principal Investigator.
- LCCC # 1612 (IRB # 16-1477): P53 mutational status and circulating free HPV DNA for the management of HPV-associated Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Cancers. Principal Investigator.
- LCCC # 1430 (IRB# 15-1781): Phase Ib trial of Dose-escalating AZD1775 in Combination with Concurrent Radiation and Cisplatin for Intermediate and High Risk Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma (HNSCC). Principal Investigator.
- Kimple RJ, Chera BS, Harari PF. Chapter 30: General Principles of Radiation Therapy. Cancer of the Head and Neck. Wolters Kluwer Publisher, pg 706-724 2014. Cancer of the Head and Neck, Fifth edition. Wolters Kluwer. 2017
- Marks L, Mazur L, Chera B, Adams R. Engineering Patient Safety in Radiation Oncology. Productivity Press. March 27th, 2015. ISBN: 9781482233643. 328 pages.
- Higginson DS, Cahlon O, Chera BS. Chapter 5: Advanced Laryngeal Cancer, pg 57-72. Target Volume Delineation for Conformal and Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy. New York, NY. Springer. 2015.
- Chera BS and Mendenhall WM. Chapter 79: Management of Central Nervous System Metastases in Breast Cancer, pg 1297 – 1319. The Breast: Comprehensive Management of Benign and Malignant Diseases, Fourth edition. Atlanta, GA: Elsevier. 2008