Ronald Chen, MD, MPH
Associate Professor; Radiation Oncology Residency Program Director; Associate Chair for Education
Phone: (984) 974-0400
Fax: (984) 974-8607
MD Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA (2004)
Residency – Harvard Radiation Oncology Program, Boston, MA (2005-2009)
MPH Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA (2008)
BA University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS
American Board of Radiology Focused Practice Recognition in Brachytherapy (lifelong recognition) (2015)
ABR Board Certified in Radiation Oncology (2010)
North Carolina (2009)
Commonwealth of Massachusetts (2006)
Academic Honors and Awards
2017 UNC Health Care and Faculty Physicians Carolina Care Excellence Leader
2016 ASCO Advocacy Champion
2016 Carolina Care Excellence Award
2014 UNC Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Faculty Member inductee
2013 UNC James W. Woods Junior Faculty Development Award
2013 Association of Residents in Radiation Oncology (ARRO) Educator of the Year
2013 Inducted as Member of UNC School of Medicine Academy of Educators
2012 UNC School of Medicine Academy of Educators Medical Student Research Mentor Award
2011 Department of Radiation Oncology Excellence in Teaching Award
2010 University of North Carolina Junior Faculty Development Award
2009 ASCO/AACR Methods in Clinical Research (Vail Workshop)
2009 ASCO Cancer Foundation Merit Award
2008 Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG) Meeting Travel Grant
2007 CaPSURE Scholar: UCSF Cancer of the Prostate Strategic Urologic Research Endeavor
2006 Travel grant, American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology Health Services/Outcomes Research in Oncology Symposium
2004 Cum laude (Harvard Medical School)
2001 Doris Duke Clinical Research Fellow
2001 Leopold Schepp Foundation Scholarship
2000 Harvard Medical School PASTEUR Fellow – Patient-Associated Science: Training, Education, Understanding, and Research
1999 Highest Distinction (equivalent to summa cum laude), University of Kansas
1996 Barry M. Goldwater Scholar
- 1R01CA174433-01 PROMIS validation in prospective population-based prostate cancer research study. Principal Investigator. (2012-2016 no cost extension).
- A Survivorship Action Partnership – USA (Movember Foundation, LIVEStrong Foundation). This is a consortium of 15 institutions across the US selected to design and implement interventions to improve prostate cancer survivorship. Prinicpal Investigator (UNC); Co-lead (Survivorship Care Plan Team). (2014-2018).
- 1R01EB020426-01. SCH: Proactive health monitoring using individualized analysis of tissue elasticity. Principal Investigator. (2014-2017).
- CER-1310-06453 (Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute/PCORI) North Carolina Prostate cancer Comparative Effectiveness & Survivorship Study (NC ProCESS): A Stakeholder-Driven, Population-Based Prospective Cohort Study. Principal Investigator (2015-2018).
- CER-1503-29220 (Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute/PCORI) Optimizing the effectiveness of routine post-treatment surveillance in prostate cancer survivors. Principal Investigator. (2015-2018).
- 1R21CA212516-01. Using SCP to tailor and deliver a prostate cancer symptom management program. Co-investigator. (2016-2018).
Clinical Trials (Active)
- IRB #14-0374 (LCCC #1408) Investigation of Circulating Tumor Cells from Cancer Patients Undergoing Radiation Therapy. Principal Investigator.
- IRB #16-2873 (LCCC #1636) Using PROMIS as part of routine clinical care for racially diverse prostate and bladder cancer patients. Principal Investigator.
- Kim SI, Swanson TA, Chen RC, editors. Underground Clinical Vignettes: Ob/Gyn, Classical Clinical Cases for USMLE Step 2 and Clerkship Review, 4th Edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, New York, NY. [ISBN-10: 0781768403]
- Chen RC, Section Editor. [A. Tewari, editor] Prostate Cancer: a Comprehensive Perspective, 1st Edition. Springer, New York, NY. 2011. [ISBN-10: 144712863X]
- Chen RC, Mauch PM. [Specht and Yahalom, editors] Management of Lymphocyte-Predominant Hodgkin Lymphoma. Radiotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma. Springer, New York, NY. 2010. [ISBN-10: 3540784551
- Chen RC, Holmes JA, D’Amico AV. Duration of Neoadjuvant/Adjuvant Androgen-Deprivation Therapy in Non-Metastatic Prostate Cancer. Radiation Medicine Rounds 2:1 (2011) 43-58. Demos Medical Publishing LLC. New York, NY. [ISBN-10: 1936287331]
- Meyer J, Holmes JA, Chen RC. [A. Tewari, Editor] Proton beam therapy and novel radiotherapeutic approaches. Prostate Cancer: a Comprehensive Perspective, 1st Edition. Springer, New York, NY. 2013. [ISBN-10: 144712863X]
- Holmes JA, Chen RC. [A. Tewari, Editor] Radiotherapy plus hormonal therapy. Prostate Cancer: a Comprehensive Perspective, 1st Edition. Springer, New York, NY. 2013. [ISBN-10: 144712863X]
- Smith A, Balar AV, Milowsky MI, Chen RC. [Niederhuber, Armitage, Doroshow, Kastan, Tepper, Editors] Bladder cancer. Abeloff’s Clinical Oncology, 5th Edition. Elsevier. [ISBN: 978-1-4557-2865-7]
- D’Amico AV, Nguyen P, Crook JM, Chen RC, Koontz BF, Martin N, Lee WR, DeWeese TL. [Wein, Kavoussi, Partin, Peters, Editors] Radiation therapy for prostate cancer. Wein: Campbell-Walsh Urology, 11th Edition. Elsevier.
- Baker BR, Mohiuddin JJ, Chen RC. Radiation with hormonal therapy. Prostate Cancer, 2nd Edition. Elsevier.
- Chen RC, Broughman JR, Michalski JM. Quality, value and the assessment of new technology. Quality and Safety in Radiation Oncology.