- Head and Neck Oncology
- Skin Cancer
- MD Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC (2000 – 2004)
- Residency – Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Florida Shands Cancer Center Gainesville, FL (2005 – 2009)
- BS (Biology) Winthrop University, Rock Hill, SC (1997 – 2000)
- ABR Board Certified in Radiation Oncology (2010)
Academic Honors and Awards
- 2017 UNC Health Care and Faculty Physicians Award for Carolina Care Excellence
- 2016 UNC Health Care and Faculty Physicians Award for Carolina Care Excellence
- 2015 ARRO Educator of the Year
- 2015 UNC Radiation Oncology Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2015 UNC Health Care and UNC Faculty Physicians Award for Carolina Care Excellence
- 2014 UNC Radiation Oncology Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2012 UNC Radiation Oncology Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2011 NIH Loan Repayment Program
- 2009 University of Florida/Shands Hospital Resident Teacher Award
- 2009 Roentgen Resident/Fellow Research Award
- 2001–2004 M. Gordon Howle, MD Scholarship
- 2001–2004 Rich Scholarship
- 2004 All American Scholar
- 2004 Alpha Omega Alpha
- 2004 Thomas Holbrook Award
- 2002 Distinguished Essay Award Immunology
- 2001 Health Professions Research Stipend
1) AHRQ, Grant # 1R18HS023458, “Simulation Based Training to Enhance Patient Safety in Radiation Oncology.” September 2014 to August 2017. Co-investigator.
2) NIH, Grant # R 01 CA158925-01, “Integration of Endoscopic and CT Data for Radiation Therapy,” April 2013 to March 2018. Principal Investigator.
Clinical Trials (Active)
- RTOG 1008 (IRB #11-0381). A Randomized Phase II/III Study of Adjuvant Concurrent Radiation and Chemotherapy versus Radiation Alone in Resected High-Risk Malignant Salivary Gland Tumors. Principal Investigator
- LCCC# 1413 (IRB# 14-1795): De-intensification of Radiation and Chemotherapy for Low-Risk HPV-related Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Principal Investigator.
- LCCC # 1612 (IRB # 16-1477): P53 mutational status and circulating free HPV DNA for the management of HPV-associated Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Cancers. Principal Investigator.
- LCCC # 1430 (IRB# 15-1781): Phase Ib trial of Dose-escalating AZD1775 in Combination with Concurrent Radiation and Cisplatin for Intermediate and High Risk Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma (HNSCC). Principal Investigator.
- Kimple RJ, Chera BS, Harari PF. Chapter 30: General Principles of Radiation Therapy. Cancer of the Head and Neck. Wolters Kluwer Publisher, pg 706-724 2014. Cancer of the Head and Neck, Fifth edition. Wolters Kluwer. 2017
- Marks L, Mazur L, Chera B, Adams R. Engineering Patient Safety in Radiation Oncology. Productivity Press. March 27th, 2015. ISBN: 9781482233643. 328 pages.
- Higginson DS, Cahlon O, Chera BS. Chapter 5: Advanced Laryngeal Cancer, pg 57-72. Target Volume Delineation for Conformal and Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy. New York, NY. Springer. 2015.
- Chera BS and Mendenhall WM. Chapter 79: Management of Central Nervous System Metastases in Breast Cancer, pg 1297 – 1319. The Breast: Comprehensive Management of Benign and Malignant Diseases, Fourth edition. Atlanta, GA: Elsevier. 2008