The Student Health Action Coalition (SHAC) provides free health care and services to underserved populations while engaging UNC Health Science students in interdisciplinary service-learning activities.
SHAC is a student led organization whose mission is to:
- Provide free health services to our uninsured and underinsured neighbors in Carrboro, Chapel Hill and Durham.
- Partner with communities to develop and implement sustainable programs.
- Create an interdisciplinary service learning environment for students in the Health Science programs at UNC.
The SHAC clinic opened in 1967 as the nation’s first student-run free clinic. At the time, SHAC was just a few medical students working from the private residences of generous supporters. We now have volunteers from all health profession schools at UNC, we operate out of one of the best primary facilities in the state, and we are proud to offer a variety of services in addition to primary medical care.
SHAC is run by entirely by student volunteers from many schools within UNC-CH including:
- School of Medicine
- School of Nursing
- School of Pharmacy
- School of Dentistry
- School of Public Health
- School of Social Work
- School of Business
- Division of Physical Therapy (Department of Allied Health Sciences)
- Division of Occupational Therapy (Department of Allied Health Sciences)
- Division of Speech and Language Pathology (Department of Allied Health Sciences)