The School of Medicine supports a rich array of outstanding basic, clinical and population research programs, centers, and resources across the translation spectrum. The infrastructure and opportunities for collaboration support highly innovative research that fulfills our goal to positively impact the health of patients and serve the University, the State and beyond.
THROUGH ACHIEVING RESEARCH INITIATIVES, WE WILL MOVE FORWARD TOGETHER BY:
Increasing funding to support research that makes a difference in the lives of those we serve.
By many metrics, the UNC SOM ranks as a top caliber research intensive school:
- 93rd percentile for federal research grants and contracts among public medical schools nationally surpassing $500 million in funding in Fiscal Year 2019, marking a major milestone for the school’s expanding research enterprise
- Ranked 6th among public universities and 17th overall with $293M in NIH awards in FY18
- All basic science departments ranked in the top 10, and 11 clinical science departments ranked in the top 30 in NIH funding
- 13 SOM faculty made the annual Clarivate highly cited list in 2018, recognizing their impact as the top 1% cited authors internationally
- 70th percentile in percentage of graduates from 2012 to 2017 who are MD-PhDs
Research Strategic Priorities
- Guide investment for UNC to achieve national/global leadership in top research thematic areas
- Set clinical departments on a path toward national leadership in research
- Increase engagement with industry as part of an ongoing effort to grow translational and clinical research
- Strengthen the UNC research infrastructure including organization, governance, and administration to ensure UNC SOM research remains at the cutting edge