An Annual Program to Honor Outstanding Nursing Professionals at UNC Health Care
The University of North Carolina School of Medicine and its physicians established in 1990 a program to recognize outstanding achievement by nursing professionals. These awards serve as tangible recognition of the countless vital contributions nurses make in support of the patient care, teaching, research and public service missions of the School of Medicine.
Eight Nursing Recognition Awards will be conferred annually: Three nurses will be honored for inpatient services; two nurses will be honored in the advance practice/special services nursing category (this will encompass advanced practice nurses, nurse educators/clinicians or nurses working in specialized programs such as bone marrow or organ transplant, heart failure, HIV, etc.);one nurse will be honored from nurse management; and two nurses will be honored from the outpatient clinics.
The awards, valued at $1,000 each, may be used over a three-year period to cover expenses associated with professional development and/or attendance at scientific conferences or meetings that will enhance the recipient's knowledge and abilities in the health care setting.
Licensed UNC Health Care nurses who are full-time permanent employees are eligible to be nominated for an award. Selection will be based on the following criteria:
- The individual's demonstrated excellence in nursing practice.
- Evidence of special qualities of caring and compassion.
- Commitment to teaching and education of health science students and health care professionals.
- Nominations must be for individuals only, not nursing teams.
- All nominations will be reviewed by an Awards Committee designated by the Dean of the School of Medicine, which will select the award recipients. Previous honorees will be considered for an award after ten years have passed.
This year's winners will be announced in December.
You may nominate a candidate for the award by and filling out an online form. The deadline to submit nominations has been extended to Tuesday, September 15, 2015 (the nomination deadline has passed).