All CAMPOS students are strongly encouraged to do an immersion elective in a Spanish-speaking country. Students can do this in the summer following the first year, or in the fourth year. There are a number of excellent programs from which you can choose. Here are program features that we recommend students look for:
- The majority of your time is in a clinical or research setting providing direct service, in Spanish, to patients and with proper supervision.
- Home stay with a family
- An opportunity to visit or work in several different clinics
- Spanish-language classes if you want to have them
Programs/electives to consider:
- Honduran Health Alliance: A UNC student-run summer program
- Proyecto Puentes de Salud (PPS): A UNC SOM Student-run health program in Mexico
- Global Health Elective in Peru: A UNC SOM elective in Trujillo, Peru
- Council on International Educational Exchange [CIEE]
- Child Family Health International, Global Health Education Programs [CFHI]
- Adventure Education Center – Dominical, Costa Rica Campus
- International Health Central American Institute [IHCAI]
- International Alliance in Service and Education [IASE]
- Medical Education Cooperation with Cuba [MEDICC]
- Shoulder to Shoulder, Honduras
- Medical Spanish School, Guatemala
- Welcome to International Health Medical Education Consortium (IHMEC)
Funding for Immersion Experiences
Please check the UNC Office for International Activity for funding opportunities http://www.med.unc.edu/oia/funding.
The Office of International Activities collects information from students who have taken various immersion experiences. Click on https://www.med.unc.edu/oia/student-experiences/central-and-south-america-carribean to learn about countries that you are interested in.