Clinical Instruction Resources
The Clinical Instructor (CI) manages clinic responsibilities as well as the responsibilities of mentoring a student.
Prior to Rotation
- Review materials sent to the site about the student, including individuals goals and objectives for the clinical rotation
- Review materials about the UNC DPT program
- Consider planning in advance learning activities that may require additional lead-time, like observing other disciplines
- Complete Web CPI training
During the Rotation
- Offer regular informal feedback to the student, including affirmations and suggestions for areas of improvement.
- Communicate with the director of clinical education. At midterm of the rotation, communicate by phone to report on the student’s progress and clarify the academic program’s expectations.
- Provide written feedback at midterm and final using the Web CPI. Meet with the student to discuss your evaluation and compare observations with the student’s self-assessment.
Following the Rotation
- Complete a review of the UNC curriculum and report about the student’s academic preparation for the clinical rotation.
- Provide feedback to the director of clinical education regarding the clinical education process
Clinical Instructor Resources
Clinical Instruction Partners:
- APTA’s Clinical Educator and Clinical Site Development
- APTA’s Credentialed Clinical Instructor Program
- NC PT Board’s Clinical Instructor Documentation Requirements for Continuing Competence Credit
- Carolina Clinical Education Consortium
- APTA CPI Web
Benefits for Clinical Instructors
AHEC Digital Library Access will allow you to search using PubMed Medline, Cochrane, and other databases. You can access UNC’s electronic journals, including physical therapy.
- APTA CI Credentialing: UNC-CH hosts clinical instructor credentialing workshops on a regular basis.
- Clinical Education Workshops: Faculty are willing to come to your facility to provide in-services on topics that relate to your clinical practice and clinical education.
- Continuing Education Workshop
- Preference for admission into the online transitional DPT program
- Mentor program: You have the opportunity to become a professional mentor. Please email Lisa Johnston if you are interested in being a mentor for entry-level physical therapy students or post-professional students.