Applications for our program should be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application System website. Our fellowship program can be found on the ERAS website under Clinical Informatics (Internal Medicine) programs. Paper applications will not be accepted.
Program Name: University of North Carolina Hospitals Program
Specialty: Clinical Informatics (Internal Medicine)
ACGME ID: 1393614003
The following items must be submitted through ERAS:
- MyERAS Application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement
- Medical School Transcript (must be submitted through the Medical Institution Document Upload Service-MIDUS)
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (must be submitted through the Medical Institution Document Upload Service-MIDUS)
- Official United States Medical Licensing Examination® (USMLE®) (Step 1, 2 CK, 2 CS, 3)
- 3 letters of recommendations (from DO/MD-level writers), this must include a letter from your current/past residency program director and letters must be on letterhead
The fellowship program is listed under Clinical Informatics (internal Medicine) as this is our core program. However, we can accept applications from graduates or current trainees from all ABMS specialties/subspecialties (we currently do not offer a pathology fellowship program).
Our fellows practice clinically as attending physicians for 20% of their time in their primary clinical specialty and have a clinical appointment as Clinical Instructor at the UNC School of Medicine. All incoming fellows must have passed USMLE Step 1, 2, and 3 before CI Match Day.
- Be a US citizen or hold a valid US immigration VISA that permits employment in the US. The UNC Hospitals Clinical Informatics Fellowship Program does not provide sponsorship for any type of immigration VISA.
- Successfully completed all US Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) requirements or if a foreign graduate, all Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) requirements.
- Successfully completed residency training in an ABMS primary specialty or fellowship training in an ABMS subspecialty or are currently in the final year of training in a primary specialty or subspecialty fellowship training program.
- Be board-eligible or board-certified in an ABMS primary specialty or subspecialty and able to practice clinically.
The deadline for accepting applications is October 15th for positions that start on the following July 1st. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until October 15th. However, early applications are encouraged.
|July||July cycle fellowship applicants may begin submitting applications.|
|July||Application open for review by fellowship programs|
|October||UNC CIinical Informatics application deadline|
|October-November||Virtual interviews (by invitation only)|
|December||Clinical Informatics Fellowship “Match” Day|
Due to COVID-19, we will only be conducting virtual interviews this fall. Our interview days will be hosted in October to early November. We aim to make the virtual experience as smooth as possible, and plan to have a half-day of scheduled interview activities. We have provided video content for applicants to get to know our program in lieu of in-person visits.
Our fellowship program participates in the CI Fellowship Program Directors’ Match Process. Match day is scheduled for December. If you choose to withdraw from the match process, please let the program director and program coordinator know in advance.