Health and Safety Compliance
Must be placed in 2020 and done by April 1, 2020. It is imperative, for your safety as well as the safety of the patients you will be seeing, that this requirement be completed before you start your clerkships. If you have a history of positive TB skin test, you still have to be evaluated by Campus Health each year. Appointment line: 919-966-2281 press 2 at the prompt.Campus Health does not automatically let us know when you have met this requirement. It is your responsibility to upload your paperwork to the MyRecordTracker system within Certiphi.
Health and Safety Requirements by Year
Needle Stick Procedures by Campus
Blood and body fluids can be infected with Hepatitis or HIV. If you are exposed due to a needle stick or mucous membrane splash or splatter during the course of your clinical rotation, follow the steps below:
- Immediately clean affected area. If you are splashed in the eye, rinse eye with water. If you are stuck with a sharp, clean site with soap and water.
- Report exposure to clinical instructor/supervisor to document incident.
- Obtain source patient information (patient name, medical record number and patient location)
- Let Gaye Colvin know (828-771-3434 ofc; 828-713-6437).
Contacts for Exposures or sticks while at Mission Hospital during inpatient experiences in Asheville:
- 7:30-4pm, Monday – Friday (828-213-9600) Mission WorkWell, 1 Hospital Drive
- After Hours and Weekends, Mission ED
Contacts for Exposures or sticks at MAHEC FM and OB Clinic Sites (recommended below, but you can go to your preference; subject to requirements and charges of your insurance policy):
- 8am-8pm, (828-210-2835), FastMed, 160 Hendersonville Road, Asheville, NC 28803 (this location is across from MAHEC/Double Tree hotel, next to Brueggers Bagels, just past Arby’s)
- After Hours and Weekends: 8am-4pm Saturdays & Sundays, (828-210-2835), FastMed, 160 Hendersonville Road, Asheville, NC 28803
Needle Stick Flowchart for CMC – Non Employee
Call 24/7 Injury Hotline
Have the Patient’s blood tested stat!
Start post-exposure prophylaxis with 2 hrs.
Call 24/7 Injury Hotline
- Notify your clinical instructor (resident, nurse, PA, attending, etc.) who will obtain source patient information (name, dob, med record #)
- Clinical Instructor will help coordinate source patient testing.
- Source patient musthave blood drawn for testing – No exceptions.
- Employee must complete ROII form online for student.
- Student will need to go to Teammate Health for Baseline Testing. Call 704-355-2106 to schedule appointment by the end of shift. After office hours or on holidays: Leave a voice mail message and give student’s name, source history number, and a phone number where the student can be reached.
- Remove contaminates gloves and if possible, allow the wound to bleed freely for a minutes
- Wash the wound with soap and water for 5 minutes and apply sterile gauze or a bandage, if necessary
- Decontaminate, remove protective clothing and proceed to Employee Health at New Hanover Regional Medical Center. If unavailable, call the nursing supervisor at 910-667-2618 or if immediate medical attention is needed, go straight to the Emergency Department.