In addition to providing comprehensive care for all patients requiring complex genitourinary reconstruction, Dr. Figler specializes in the following conditions:
- Urethral strictures, including after trauma, radiation, and failed surgery.
- Rectourethral fistula
- Lichen sclerosus.
- Buried penis
- Penile/genital cancer – including Extramammary Paget’s Disease (EMPD). A comprehensive team, including Dr. Marc Bjurlin in uro-oncology and Dr. Brad Merritt in Dermatology/Mohs surgery, utilize an innovative set of techniques to maximize chances of curing the cancer, preserve as much genital tissue as possible, and maximize quality of life.
- Vaginoplasty. Dr. Figler developed an innovative “graft only” approach for patients with sufficient genital skin and, in coordination with Dr. Marc Bjurlin, performs robot assisted peritoneal flap vaginoplasty for patients with insufficient genital skin.
- Metoidioplasty. Dr. Figler utilizes the “ring flap” approach to achieve excellent functional and aesthetic results.
- Phalloplasty. Dr. Figler and Dr. Yemi Ogunleye (plastic surgery) perform radial forearm free flap and anterolateral thigh (ALT) phalloplasty for transgender patients and cis-gender patients after penile cancer and trauma.
- Hidradenitis. As part of a comprehensive team, including Dr. Chris Sayed in dermatology, Dr. Figler offers comprehensive genital reconstructive surgery to reduce disease burden and improve quality of life.
Dr. Figler received his medical degree from Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine and completed his residency training in Urology at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, GA. Following residency, Dr. Figler completed a two-year fellowship in Genitourinary Trauma and Male Reconstruction at the University of Washington and Harborview Medical Center with Dr. Hunter Wessells, a pioneer in Genitourinary Trauma and Male Reconstruction. During this time, Dr. Figler also worked at the Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center, where he pursued an interest in health services research. After his fellowship training, Dr. Figler worked at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, where he founded and directed the Division of Reconstructive Urology. In 2016, Dr. Figler joined UNC, where he serves as Associate Professor of Urology and Plastic Surgery.
In July 2022, Dr. Figler started the fellowship in Genitourinary Reconstructive Surgery, and currently serves as the Fellowship Director.
Dr. Figler’s research interests include clinical outcomes and innovative techniques in genitourinary reconstruction, access to urologic surgery and strategies to address barriers.
Urology – Board Certified
Fellowship: University of Washington/Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA 2011-2013
Residency: Emory University, Atlanta, GA 2006-2011
MD: Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 2002-2006
Schedule an Appointment with Dr. Figler
Refer a Patient to Dr. Figler
Medical professionals interested in referring a patient please visit our Refer a Patient page for more information.
9 months ago
UNC Urology’s ‘Castle Connolly Top Doctors’ Grows to 12
Congratulations to Drs. Borawski, Bukowski, Chan, Figler, Nielsen, Raynor, Ross, Smith, Sutherland, Tan, Viprakasit, and Wallen received the 'Top Doctor' designation from Castle Connolly.
3 years ago
Raynor & Tan Expand UNC Urology’s ‘Castle Connolly Top Doctors’ Ranks to 11
Congratulations to Drs. Borawski, Coward, Figler, Nielsen, Raynor, Ross, Smith, Sutherland, Tan, Viprakasit, and Wallen received the 2021 'Top Doctor' designation from Castle Connolly.