TPEP is currently involved with 3 Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Contracts:
- NC YTS
North Carolinians for a Tobacco-Free Generation
In 2021, UNC’s Tobacco Prevention and Evaluation Program partnered with the North Carolina Tobacco Prevention and Control Branch, and the North Carolina Alliance for Health to launch North Carolinians for a Tobacco Free Generation (NCTFG).
- NCTFG’s mission: to educate the public and decision-makers on the harms of tobacco and secondhand smoke as well as effective policies and programs to reduce tobacco’s harm.
- NCTFG does this by:
- Highlighting local tobacco control efforts and policies
- Sharing evidence-based resources and groundbreaking research
- Empowering individuals and groups with the knowledge on how to prevent and reduce tobacco use through policy and collective action
- Informing the public about the harms of tobacco use
- Engaging tobacco experts, experienced healthcare professionals, and community members and leaders in North Carolina to share their experiences, stories, or recommendations to advance health, equity, and policies that support healthy tobacco-free communities.
Follow us on:
Since 2006, UNC’s Tobacco Prevention and Evaluation Program has evaluated QuitlineNC, a state-funded tobacco cessation service. QuitlineNC is managed by the North Carolina Tobacco Control Branch and helps connect tobacco users within North Carolina quit to various services to help people quit commercial tobacco use. Examples of services and resources provided include free nicotine replacement therapy, written materials, text support, coaching calls, and behavioral health counseling. Evaluation of the Quitline helps provide insight into who the NC Quitline is reaching, what support services are being used, and how to better reach and serve North Carolina’s residents.
Learn more about QuitlineNC HERE.
UNC TPEP has partnered with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services since 1999 to conduct the statewide data analysis for the biannual NC Youth Tobacco Survey. This includes the review of current survey items, development of new items, collaboration with RTI for cleaning and weighting of the data and performing data analyses on tobacco product use. The Tobacco Prevention and Control Branch (TPCB) will provide the NC Youth Tobacco Survey (YTS), and the SAS datasets including state and regional data for middle and high schools sampled in NC.