Skip to main content

Established in 1999, the UNC Center for Inflammatory Bowel Diseases now includes seven adult GI and three pediatric GI faculty specializing in IBD, three colorectal surgeons, a nutritionist and a psychologist, making it among the largest and most highly regarded IBD programs in the nation. We perform cutting-edge basic, translational, and clinical research, and provide state-of-the-art, multi-disciplinary care.

UNC has had a long-standing advanced IBD fellowship program with years of successful placement of fellows in clinical and academic settings.

The curriculum includes a diverse array of clinical experiences including inpatient and outpatient management of IBD, surgical management, pediatric to adult transitioning and nutrition. UNC is the largest multidisciplinary IBD center in the southeast and has an extensive referral base. There are opportunities to personalize the curriculum based on a fellow’s individual interests including: 1) a clinical research focus with ample opportunities and resources to complete clinical research projects, 2) experience with industry and investigator-initiated clinical trials and 3) advanced IBD clinical care including endoscopic procedures specific to IBD and a GI/surgery lead pouch clinic. Fellows can expect to gain experience in:

  • Inflammatory Bowel Disease outpatient clinic
  • Pouch clinic
  • GI/IBD surgery clinic
  • GI procedures: IBD blocked time
  • Inpatient IBD consultation service
  • Pediatric IBD transition clinic
  • GI radiology review
  • GI pathology review
  • IBD clinical research project
  • IBD clinical trials instruction

Requirements for eligibility include completion of a 3-year general GI fellowship by June 30, 2021 and board eligibility.

For further information regarding the application process and eligibility, please contact Millie Long, MD, PhD, Fellowship Program Director, or Jarrett Grimm-Vavlitis, Education Program Manager. Please note that at this time, due to restricted funding, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Applicants must demonstrate US citizenship or the equivalent (naturalized citizen, employment authorization document [EAD], green card). Positions are filled for the 2020-2021 academic year. We are currently accepting applications for the 2021-2022 academic year.