The UNC Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology is committed to ensuring that all members understand the historical and current realities that lead to systemic inequities and health disparities. To that end, here are some of the activities we are undertaking:
- All department members – staff, faculty, residents, and fellows – participate in implicit bias training.
- We host quarterly Grand Rounds on issues relevant to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Resident didactics include dedicated lectures on health disparities in obstetrics and gynecology.
- We are working to ensure that rotation-specific didactics have disparities teaching integrated into the clinical teaching.
- In AY 2020-2021 we hosted the I.D.E.A. Lecture Series – Inclusion Diversity, Equity & Advocacy Lecture Series. This was a year-long monthly lecture series developed by our residents to explore the history of discrimination of marginalized groups in the United States, and how that history informs health disparities today. Although designed for our residents, it was open to our entire community, with faculty, staff and trainees from other departments, institutions and countries also participating.
- Department members meet to elevate ongoing discussions related to DEI issues over articles, books, and podcasts.