Call for Applications:
Travel Awards for Conferences, Meetings, or Short Courses focused on HIV and Women’s Reproductive Health
The UNC-UNZA-Wits Partnership for HIV and Women’s Reproductive Health (UUW) is a partnership between the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC), the University of Zambia (UNZA), and the University of the Witwatersrand (Wits), and is funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Fogarty International Center. UUW supports a PhD training program, a postdoctoral fellowship program, and short-term training opportunities for Zambian researchers.
The UUW partnership is now accepting applications for travel awards for conferences, meetings, or short courses focusing on HIV and women’s reproductive health (WRH).
These awards are intended to catalyze new research in the field through investment in scientific and professional development. To maximize the opportunities for learning, award recipients will be asked to give a presentation about key findings from the conference or short course, with emphasis on HIV and WRH issues.
Award Amount: $3,000 USD for regional travel; $5,000 USD for international travel
- Active involvement in HIV and WRH research
- Zambian citizenship
- Curriculum Vitae
- Proposal statement, outlining current position, academic background, work in HIV and WRH, and how this award will impact the applicant’s professional development, expertise, or the local research infrastructure (one page)
- A budget and accompanying justification
- Letter of institutional support from unit or department head – optional, but recommended for applicants seeking study leave for the proposed travel
For conference or meeting applications, priority will be given to those with accepted abstracts or oral presentations.
Eligible short courses include, but are not limited to:
- South African Centre for Epidemiologic Modelling and Analysis: http://www.sacema.org/events/index/90/
- Epi/biostats:https://www.wits.ac.za/media/wits-university/faculties-and-schools/health-sciences/public-health/short-course-brochures/MSc Short Course Brochure 2019_online.pdf
- Health economics:https://www.wits.ac.za/media/wits-university/faculties-and-schools/health-sciences/public-health/MPH%20Short%20Course%20Brochure%202019.pdf
- Health economics:https://pricelesssa.ac.za/teaching-learning/master-of-public-health-in-health-economics
Interested candidates should submit their applications via email to email@example.com. Submissions will be reviewed and awarded quarterly, as funds allow. The next deadline for applications is Friday, 31 January 2020.
For more information on the UUW partnership, visit our website at: www.med.unc.edu/obgyn/global-womens-health/our-training-programs.