Requirements & Eligibility
OGHE Scholarship timeline:
|OGHE Funding||Student Application Deadline||Deadline for Faculty Letters of Support||Award Decision By:|
|2023 late Fall/2024 Spring OGHE Med Student Global Health Travel Awards (MS4)||September 15||September 22||Decisions emailed by October 15|
|2024 late Spring/Summer/early Fall OGHE Medical Student Global Health Travel Award (MS1/MS4)||February 1||February 8||Decisions emailed
by March 1
OGHE Travel Award Requirements:
- Applicants must be current UNC medical students in good academic standing
- Applicants must submit their funding application using the designated online form (download here)
- All required documentation must be send in one pdf attached to an email to OGHE
- Communicate with your letter writers and host sites in advance to plan ahead.
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Program Budget detailing all program-related expenses – communicate with your host site mentor or previous students to assess pre-travel and in country program costs. Please use our template.
- Two Letters of Recommendation – Please do not request that both letters be written by the same faculty member. They must be submitted my two separate individuals.
1) Host Site/Faculty Advisor for the Elective Letter: This letter must be from the on-site clinical/program/research supervisor OR the faculty advisor who has an ongoing relationship with the in-country team. In their letter, they are asked to address your suitability for the elective, that you have permission to participate for your stated length of time, your daily role, and supervision. Please use this form, send it to your recommender and ask them to send the letter to OGHE (per instruction in the letter instructions).
2) UNC SOM Letter: The UNC letter should come from a faculty advisor or UNC faculty member who can speak to your candidacy for the scholarship (character and academic achievements). Please use this form, send it to your recommender and ask them to send the letter to OGHE (per instruction in the letter instructions).
- Essay 1 – Limit 1,500 words. Discuss your motivation for this global program and specific site and program area of interest for one of the options:
1. For research: Project description; faculty support; funding needs; and plans for IRB approval.2. For public health-focused projects: Project description; faculty support; funding needs and plans for IRB approval if any research involved.
3. For clinically-focused programs: Anticipated patient-care responsibilities and supervision, and plans for scholarly activity.
- Short Answer Questions
- rationale for choice of selected site
- academic objectives
- description of on-site supervision
- Language barriers, if any, and how to mitigate any potential risks for clinical and research safety
OGHE Travel Award Eligibility:
Awards are for individuals, UNC medical students only
- Student groups are not eligible for this award
- Applicants who have received the OGHE funding in the past are not eligible to receive a second award for a similar experience
Minimum of 2 week program length (funding is prioritized for 4 week program lengths)
Prior approval from the host site & course director (if receiving UNC SOM academic credit)
Completing all UNC SOM global pre-travel requirements before departure with written approval from the OGHE to travel
Funding for retroactive electives are not accepted