International schools are not required to obtain an affiliation agreement.
Students may obtain an excused absence at the discretion of the visiting student coordinator, elective coordinators/directors, and campus liaisons. Excused absences are not guaranteed except for medical reasons. Course directors can exercise discretion to allow absences above the recommended percentage. Students must make up all excused and unexcused absences at the direction of the course or site director. Reasons for excused absences include:
- Medical/illness: Includes illness and medical appointments. There is no limit on absences for medical reasons.
- Family/close friend event or emergency: Students must provide a brief explanation when requesting an excused absence. Examples include but are not limited to funerals and medical emergencies of family members.
- Professional meeting: An excused absence is only granted when the student is a presenter. The student must submit conference documentation when requesting an excused absence.
- Jury Duty: Student must provide a copy of the summons when requesting an excused absence.
- Religious holidays: Per University policy, students are authorized up to two excused absences each academic year for religious observances required by their faith. See University Policy
- Weddings: Students must request an administrative excuse for a wedding as soon as possible, no later than two weeks prior to the event. Students must also submit a copy of the wedding invitation. Students must use their professional judgment to minimize absences to weddings and prioritize attendance to only the most significant weddings.
- Required Training: Students must provide details of the required training.
- Residency Interviews: Due to the nature of the visiting student rotation, the visiting student program will grant excused absences for residency interviews as long as the student makes up the time missed and the number of requested days off does not exceed a reasonable amount.
- Inclement Weather: Any rotation days missed due to hazardous weather situations will not count towards the 15% as long as the University has issued an adverse weather operating condition. See Inclement Weather Policy.
Please submit your request for time off here.
VS Absence Request
Please use this form to request time off for your approved elective rotation.
For domestic students, fees are assessed by VSLO for each elective to which the student applies. If you would like to be considered for more than one rotation block for an elective, you can submit a request for that block without incurring an extra charge. For example: submitting an elective request for ANES 401 for Block 6 and 7 would fall under one charge. Submitting an elective request for Block 6 and 7 for ANES 401 and ANES 403 would be two charges, one for each separate elective. Once an elective offer has been accepted, there is a $100 non-refundable processing fee due for registration purposes and to hold the seat for the approved elective.
For international students, the total cost per four-week clinical elective, including the $500 deposit, is $2,500 USD total in addition to the non-refundable $100 USD application/processing fee. The $100 USD non-refundable application processing fee is due at the time of application submission. The application processing fee must only be paid once per student and is a one-time fee, regardless of the number of requested electives. Once an elective offer has been made, students will have one week to submit a $500 non-refundable elective confirmation fee due for registration purposes and to hold the seat for the approved elective. The rest of the $2,500 USD elective fee is due prior to the start of your UNC elective rotation. In summary, please see the fee schedule for international students:
- When applying, you will pay your $100 USD application fee.
- When offered an elective spot, you must pay $500 USD to accept (within 1 week).
- Before beginning your elective, you will pay the remaining $2,000 USD of your elective fee.
H – Honors
HP – High Pass
P – Pass
F – Fail
A student’s home institution evaluation form may be submitted to the Visiting Student Coordinator to be completed in addition to UNC’s form. Please keep the Office of Student Affairs informed if an evaluation form is provided directly to the preceptor so multiple forms will not be sent. If no home school evaluation form has been provided before the end of the rotation and a UNC form has already been completed, the home school form will not be completed after the fact.
The University uses three main adverse weather operating conditions: Condition 1: Reduced Operations, Classes operate on a regular schedule; Condition 2: Suspended Operations, Classes Cancelled; or Condition 3: Closure, Classes Canceled (https://hr.unc.edu/benefits/leave-holidays/weather-emergency/). Reports of state government closings do not apply to the University.
UNC announces adverse weather news on https://alertcarolina.unc.edu. The visiting student coordinator will also communicate any changes in operating conditions via email to all students rotating with UNC Health Care locations.
Campus visiting students should check with their Branch Campus administration as conditions may vary across the state. (https://www.med.unc.edu/md/curriculum/tec-curriculum-information/application-phase/application-phase-overview/).
Lucas Ramsey | email@example.com
Office of Student Affairs
113 MacNider Hall CB# 9535 | Chapel Hill, NC 27599
Phone: 919.843.7095 I Fax: 919.966.9930 |
Vacant | firstname.lastname@example.org
Office of Student Affairs
1001 Bondurant Hall CB# 9535 | Chapel Hill, NC 27599
Phone: 919.962.5511 | Fax: 919.966.9930 | 8am – 5pm