These requirements must be met in order for your application to move on to the scheduling phase (domestic students) or be considered by the Review Committee (international students).
- Final year medical student – You cannot be a medical school graduate.
- Completion of all core clerkships (or completion of penultimate year of medical school)
- Family Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Passing score on USMLE Step 1 or COMLEX-USA Level 1
- You may submit USMLE Step 2 scores, but they are not required.
- A passing score on the German ‘Physikum’ exam or a passing score on the ‘IFOM CSE’ may also be acceptable in certain circumstances. However, UNC reserves the right to require a USMLE Step score for any applicant.
- Minimum TOEFL score of 100.
- Health insurance (International students will purchase UNC required international health insurance once confirmed)
- HIPAA and OSHA training (International students will complete once confirmed)
- Good academic standing at home institution
- Current background clearance from home institution
- Possible elective-specific requirements*
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Current medical school transcript
- Note for international students: Transcript must be in English, only official translations are accepted. Additionally, beyond just hours completed, it would enhance your application to include an assessment in your clerkships, displaying grades or percentages.
- USMLE Step 1, COMLEX-USA Level 1 or equivalent exams (see above) score transcript
- Letter(s) of recommendation from faculty member(s) at your home medical school or from faculty/physician(s) who have observed you during other clinical visiting electives.
- Letters should include relevant examples of the applicant’s clinical knowledge and abilities
- Letters should demonstrate the student’s competency with a clinical environment and showcase a commitment to learning.
- Letters of recommendation must be on official letterhead and dated/signed.
- Domestic students must upload 1 letter. International students must upload 2 letters.
- Personal Statement In a brief statement (one single-line page, 12 point font), please address:
- Your personal growth in medicine since starting medical school
- Your educational and professional interest with UNC School of Medicine
- How both you and UNC would benefit from a clinical rotation
- The anticipated impact on your education and/or future career goals of completing a rotation with UNC School of Medicine.
Specific to international students:
- Copy of your TOEFL score report
- If you are attending medical school in a predominantly English-speaking country (Ireland, Canada, UK, South Africa, Off-Shore Caribbean American branch school), you may submit a statement to that effect. This does NOT include Poland, India, Germany, Israel or Pakistan.
- If you attended secondary school or university in a predominant-English speaking country, you may submit a copy of your transcript or diploma in order for the TOEFL waiver to be considered.
- If you completed a clinical U.S. elective, you may submit the Letter of Recommendation or elective evaluation in order for the TOEFL waiver to be considered.
- If you have a passing Step 2 CS score, you may submit your score report in order for the TOEFL waiver to be considered.
- TOEFL scores may also be required by UNC for any applicant at the office’s discretion. The School of Medicine reserves the right to request a telephone interview to determine adequate fluency.
- Dean’s Office Certification form containing signature and seal/stamp of your institution and your graduation date
- $100 non-refundable application fee – The application fee can be paid online using a credit card. Only MasterCard or Visa are accepted at this time. Please follow this
- Please note: You must enter your Application ID number – therefore you must have started an online application before you can pay your application fee.The payment ID is a four-digit number located on your online application. If you are applying through VSLO, you may use the last four digits of your AAMC number.
*Elective/Departmental/Campus Specific Requirements
The University of North Carolina School of Medicine prides itself on the ability to offer a variety of clinical areas for potential 4th-year electives. While the Visiting Student Program has a general set of requirements for acceptance, some departments, individual electives, and campus locations require extra materials (personal statements, Step scores, etc.) to be included with the VSLO application in order to be considered eligible for scheduling. Once accepted, requirements other than the general set listed above may be required depending upon the elective, clinical site or campus where your rotation is taking place. All supplemental requirements will be listed in VLSO and attached to the elective you wish to apply for.