H. Brashear Distinguished Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Vice Chair of Education
Division Chief, Orthopaedic Tumor Surgery
Master of Science
Health Policy, University of London (London School of Economics and London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine), London, UK
Orthopaedic Surgery, University of North Carolina School of Medicine
Musculoskeletal oncology, Mayo Graduate School of Medicine
- Residency Program Director, UNC Orthopaedic Residency Program
- H. Brashear Distinguished Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- Vice Chair of Education, Department of Orthopaedics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- Division Chief, Orthopaedic Tumor Surgery
- Orthopaedic oncology/tumors
UNC Orthopaedics (Ambulatory Care Center)
102 Mason Farm Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
- Orthopaedic oncology/tumors
- Medical education
(see entire list available at PubMed)
- Esther RJ. A Call for an End to “Past Medical History.” Letter. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. In press.
- Esther RJ, Battacharya R, Ruan M, Bolander ME, Mukhopadhyay D, Sarkar G, Mukherjee P. Gold Nanoparticles do not Affect the Global Transcriptional Program of Human Umbilical Vein Endothelial Cells: A DNA-microarray Analysis. Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology, in press.
- Busam M, Esther RJ, Obremskey WT. Hardware Removal: Indications and Timing. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, in press. (dual first authorship)
- Bos GD, Esther RJ, Woll S. Diagnosis and Management of Foot Tumors. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, August 2002.
- Esther RJ, Bos GD. Management of Metastatic Disease of Other Bones. Orthopaedic Clinics of North America, October 2000.
- Esther RJ, Lamps L, Schwartz HS. Marjolin Ulcers: Secondary Ulcers in Chronic Wounds. Journal of the Southern Orthopaedic Association 8(3):181-187, 1999.
- Pincus T, Esther R, DeWalt DA, Callahan LC. Social Conditions and Self-Management are More Powerful Determinants of Health than Access to Care. Annals of Internal Medicine 129(5):406-11, 1998.
- Esther RJ. Use of Physical Restraints in a Nineteenth-century State Hospital. History of Psychiatry 8:83-93, 1997.
- Pelstring RC, Allred DC, Esther RJ, Lampkin SR, Banks PM. Differential Antigen Preservation During Tissue Autolysis. Human Pathology 22(3):227-232, 1991.
- FC Wilson Chief Resident Teaching Award, UNC Department of Orthopaedics, 2016
- Inaugural H. Robert Brashear Distinguished Teaching Fellow in Orthopaedics
- 2016 Faculty Teaching Award, UNC Musculoskeletal Course
- 2015 Faculty Teaching Award, UNC Musculoskeletal Course
- 2014 Faculty Teaching Award, UNC Musculoskeletal Course
- 2013 Faculty Teaching Award, UNC Musculoskeletal Course
- 2009-2012 Inaugural H. Robert Brashear Teaching Fellow in Orthopaedics
- 2009 Faculty Teaching Award, Musculoskeletal Course for 2nd year medical students, UNC School of Medicine
- 2008 Faculty Teaching Award, Musculoskeletal Course for 2nd year medical students, UNC School of Medicine
- Member, UNC School of Medicine Teaching Scholars Program
- William Patton Chief Resident Teaching Award, UNC Department of Orthopaedics, 2004
- Orthopaedic Resident of the Year, Department of Orthopaedics, WakeMed, Raleigh, NC, 2004
- Resident Teaching Award, Musculoskeletal Course for 2nd year medical students, UNC School of Medicine, 2000
- First Class in Modern History, Oxford University, 1993
- Phi Beta Kappa, Wake Forest University, 1991
- Forrest Clounts Award, 1991
- Award of outstanding original research in European history, 1991
- Wake Forest Award for highest graduating G.P.A in senior class, 1991
- Rhodes Scholar, Oxford Univesity, 1991
Phone: (984) 974-5700
Referral Fax: (919) 966-7956
Phone: (919) 966-9073