Professor of Orthopaedics
UNC Orthopaedics (Ambulatory Care Center)
102 Mason Farm Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
Phone: (984) 974-5700
Referral Fax: (919) 966-7956
Phone: (919) 966-9073
- BA: Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC
- BA: University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
- MSc: University of London (London School of Economics and London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine), London, UK
- MD: Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
- Residency: University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC
- Fellowship (orthopaedic oncology): Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Rochester, MN
- Orthopaedic oncology/tumors
- 2012 – Present: Program Director, UNC Orthopaedic Residency Program
- 2012 – Present: Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, UNC-Chapel Hill, School of Medicine
- 2017- Present: Vice Chair of Education, Department of Orthopaedics, UNC-Chapel Hill
- FC Wilson Chief Resident Teaching Award, UNC Department of Orthopaedics, 2016
- Inaugural H. Robert Brashear Distinguished Teaching Fellow in Orthopaedics
- 2016 Faculty Teaching Award, UNC Musculoskeletal Course
- 2015 Faculty Teaching Award, UNC Musculoskeletal Course
- 2014 Faculty Teaching Award, UNC Musculoskeletal Course
- 2013 Faculty Teaching Award, UNC Musculoskeletal Course
- 2009-2012 Inaugural H. Robert Brashear Teaching Fellow in Orthopaedics
- 2009 Faculty Teaching Award, Musculoskeletal Course for 2nd year medical students, UNC School of Medicine
- 2008 Faculty Teaching Award, Musculoskeletal Course for 2nd year medical students, UNC School of Medicine
- Member, UNC School of Medicine Teaching Scholars Program
- William Patton Chief Resident Teaching Award, UNC Department of Orthopaedics, 2004
- Orthopaedic Resident of the Year, Department of Orthopaedics, WakeMed, Raleigh, NC, 2004
- Resident Teaching Award, Musculoskeletal Course for 2nd year medical students, UNC School of Medicine, 2000
- First Class in Modern History, Oxford University, 1993
- Phi Beta Kappa, Wake Forest University, 1991
- Forrest Clounts Award, 1991
- Award of outstanding original research in European history, 1991
- Wake Forest Award for highest graduating G.P.A in senior class, 1991
- Rhodes Scholar, Oxford Univesity, 1991
(see entire list available at PubMed)
- Yuan J, Sarkar G, Bronk J, Ruan M, Rapin P, Esther R, Bolander M. A novel spontaneous metastasis animal model of human osteosarcoma. International Symposium on Limb Salvage, Seoul, September 2005.
- Esther RJ, Weinhold PS, Dahners LE. NKISK: Investigation of Possible Regimens for Pharmacological Tendon Lengthening. Presented at North Carolina Orthopaedic Association Annual Meeting, Asheville, NC, October 2002.
- Esther RJ, Bolander ME, Sarkar G. Identification of Candidate Biomarkers for Metastatic Osteosarcoma. Poster, International Symposium on Limb Salvage, September 2005.
- Esther RJ, Ruan M, Bolander ME, Sarkar G. Impaired Bub1 and Bub1B mRNA expression in osteogenic sarcoma. Poster, International Symposium on Limb Salvage, September 2005
- Esther RJ, Ruan M, Bolander ME, Sarkar G. Impaired Bub1B mRNA expression is associated with osteogenic sarcoma. Poster, American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting, April 2005.
- Esther RJ, Weinhold PS, Dahners LE. NKISK: Investigation of Possible Regimens for Pharmacological Tendon Lengthening. Poster, Orthopaedic Research Society, February 2003.
- Esther RJ, Liu R, Cusack JC, Lester GE, Bos GD. Inhibition of NF-kB affects chemosusceptibility in naïve and resistant osteosarcoma cells. Poster, Musculoskeletal Tumor Society, May 2001.
- Esther RJ. A Call for an End to “Past Medical History.” Letter. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. In press.
- Esther RJ, Battacharya R, Ruan M, Bolander ME, Mukhopadhyay D, Sarkar G, Mukherjee P. Gold Nanoparticles do not Affect the Global Transcriptional Program of Human Umbilical Vein Endothelial Cells: A DNA-microarray Analysis. Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology, in press.
- Busam M, Esther RJ, Obremskey WT. Hardware Removal: Indications and Timing. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, in press. (dual first authorship)
- Bos GD, Esther RJ, Woll S. Diagnosis and Management of Foot Tumors. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, August 2002.
- Esther RJ, Bos GD. Management of Metastatic Disease of Other Bones. Orthopaedic Clinics of North America, October 2000.
- Esther RJ, Lamps L, Schwartz HS. Marjolin Ulcers: Secondary Ulcers in Chronic Wounds. Journal of the Southern Orthopaedic Association 8(3):181-187, 1999.
- Pincus T, Esther R, DeWalt DA, Callahan LC. Social Conditions and Self-Management are More Powerful Determinants of Health than Access to Care. Annals of Internal Medicine 129(5):406-11, 1998.
- Esther RJ. Use of Physical Restraints in a Nineteenth-century State Hospital. History of Psychiatry 8:83-93, 1997.
- Pelstring RC, Allred DC, Esther RJ, Lampkin SR, Banks PM. Differential Antigen Preservation During Tissue Autolysis. Human Pathology 22(3):227-232, 1991.