Associate Professor of Pediatric Orthopaedics
UNC Orthopaedics (Ambulatory Care Center)
102 Mason Farm Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
UNC Hospitals Children’s Specialty Services at Raleigh
2801 Blue Ridge Road
First and Second Floor
Raleigh, NC 27607
Phone: (984) 974-5700
Referral Fax: (919) 966-7956
Phone: (919) 843-3378
Fax: (919) 966-6730
- MD: Cornell University, New York, NY
- Residency: Orthopedic Surgery and Research Fellowship, UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
- Fellowship: Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada
- Fellowship: Hip Preservation, Schulthess Klinik, Zurich, Switzerland
- Hip dysplasia surgery: closed or open hip reductions and pelvic osteotomies (Salter, Pemberton, Dega, Tönnis, Periacetabular, and Staheli shelf osteotomies)
- Neuromuscular hip and lower extremity procedures
- Limb deficiency surgery, including limb reconstruction or conversion amputations
- Lower limb realignment with growth modulation or osteotomies
- Ponseti clubfoot techniques, including casting and surgical procedures
- Limb deficiencies
- Pediatric fracture management
- Hip dysplasia
- Quality of life outcomes
- Stem cell therapies
|2018 – present||Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Orthopaedics|
|2018 – present||Division Chief of Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery, Department of Orthopaedics|
|2014 – 2018||Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedics|
|2018||Palestine Children’s Relief Fund Humanitarian Award|
|2009||Shriners Hospitals for Children – Los Angeles Research Award|
|2008||Ruth Jackson Orthopaedic Society, Jacqueline Perry Research Award|
|2003||HSS Orthopedic Surgery Research Award|
(see entire list available at PubMed)
- Cuomo AV, Watts HG. Atlas of Amputations and Limb Deficiencies. Krajbich I, ed. American Academy of Orthopedics, 4th ed., in press. The Multiple Limb Deficient Child.
- Cuomo AV. Atlas of Amputations and Limb Deficiencies. Krajbich I, ed. American Academy of Orthopedics, 4th ed., in press. Principles of Pediatric Amputation Surgery.
- Cuomo AV, Watts HG. Global Orthopaedics and Traumatology. Spiegel D, ed. Springer Sciences + Business Media, New York, In Press. Limb Deficiencies.
- Cuomo AV, Bowen R, Otsuka NY. In: Flynn J, ed. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery. Flynn J, ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia 2008. Open Tendoachilles Lengthening; pp 1619-1625.
- Cuomo AV, Lieberman JR. In: Musculoskeletal Tissue Regeneration. Pietrzak WS, ed. Humana Press; 2008. The Future of Musculoskeletal Tissue Regeneration: A Clinical Perspective; pp. 619-634.