- Surgery of the endocrine glands: thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal
- More information can be found on our Endocrine Surgery page.
Various topics in basic and clinical research
- Residency: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 1994
- MD: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 1987
General Surgery – Board Certified continuously since 1995
Dr. Kim grew up in West Texas and received his medical degree from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in 1987. After beginning his general surgery training at Cook County Hospital and the University of Illinois in Chicago, Dr. Kim returned to Southwestern in 1989 for a two year research fellowship in basic laboratory research. He completed his general surgery training at the U.T. Southwestern Medical Center and Parkland Hospital in 1994. He spent two years additional years in basic science research at the National Institutes of Health before returning to U.T. Southwestern to join the faculty in 1996. He moved to Arkansas in 2002 to become Chief of Surgery at the VA Hospital. He also served as Professor in the Departments of Surgery and Medicine and Director of Endocrine Surgery at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences. He moved to the University of North Carolina in 2013 to expand the program in Endocrine Surgery. He has extensive experience in basic science and clinical research, as well as administration.
Dr. Kim is a recognized expert in surgical diseases of the endocrine glands. He has written on a variety of topics related to these conditions (see below). He is co-editor of a major textbook on thyroid cancer published in 2017. He has served as Program Chair of the annual meeting of the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons. He is currently Chair of the Endocrine Disease Site Workgroup for the Society of Surgical Oncology. He has been an invited speaker at national and international organizations including the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and the International Association of Endocrine Surgeons. He is particularly recognized in the use of office-based ultrasound for endocrine diseases and teaches ultrasound at national and international courses. He was recently elected to the Complex General Surgical Oncology Board of the American Board of Surgery, representing the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons.
- Dickson PV, Kim L, Yen TWF, Yang A, Grubbs EG, Patel D, Solórzano CC. Evaluation, Staging, and Surgical Management for Adrenocortical Carcinoma: An Update from the SSO Endocrine and Head and Neck Disease Site Working Group. Ann Surg Oncol. 2018 Sep 18.
- Dickson PV, Kim L, Yen TWF, Yang A, Grubbs EG, Patel D, Solórzano CC. Adjuvant and Neoadjuvant Therapy, Treatment for Advanced Disease, and Genetic Considerations for Adrenocortical Carcinoma: An Update from the SSO Endocrine and Head and Neck Disease Site Working Group. Ann Surg Oncol. 2018 Sep 14.
- Wobker SE, L.T. Kim, T.G. Hackman, L.G. Dodd. Use of BRAF v600e immunocytochemistry on FNA direct smears of papillary thyroid carcinoma. Cancer Cytopathol. 2015 Sep;123(9):531-9.
- Carling T, S.E. Carty, M.M. Ciarleglio, D.S. Cooper, G.M. Doherty, L. T. Kim, R.T. Kloos, E.L. Mazzaferri Sr, P.N. Peduzzi, S.A. Roman, R.S. Sippel, J.A. Sosa, B.C. Stack Jr, D.L. Steward, R.P. Tufano, R.M. Tuttle, R. Udelsman, American Thyroid Association Surgical Affairs Committee. American Thyroid Association design and feasibility of a prospective randomized controlled trial of prophylactic central lymph node dissection for papillary thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid. 2012 Mar;22(3):237-44.
- Acott, A, S. Theus, L.T. Kim. Long-term glucose control and risk of peri-operative complications. Am. J. Surg. 198: 596-599, 2009.
- Govindarajan, R., L. Ratnasinghe, D. Simmons, E. Siegel, M. Midathada, L.T. Kim, P. Kim, R. Owens, N. Lang. Thiazolidinediones and the risk of lung, prostate, and colon cancer in patients with diabetes. J Clin Oncol. 25(12):1461-2, 2007.
- Akbar, N., D. Bodenner, L.T. Kim, J.Y. Suen, M.S. Kokoska. Considerations in Incorporating Office Based Ultrasound of the Head and Neck. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 135(6):884-8,2006.
- Panta, G., L. Du, F. Nwariaku, L.T. Kim. Direct Phosphorylation of Proliferative and Survival Pathway Proteins By RET. Surgery. 138(2):269-74, 2005.
- Panta, G., F. Nwariaku, L.T. Kim. RET Signals through Focal Adhesion Kinase in Medullary Thyroid Cancer Cells. Surgery. 136(6):1212-7, 2004.
- Van Husen, R., L.T. Kim. Accuracy of Surgeon-Performed Ultrasound in Parathyroid Localization. World J. Surgery. 28(11):1122-6, 2004.
- Liu, Z., J. Falola, X. Zhu, L.T. Kim, G.A. Sarosi, T. Anthony, F. Nwariaku. Anti-Proliferative Effects of Src Inhibition on Medullary Thyroid Cancer. J. Clin. Endo. Met. 89(7):3503-9, 2004.
- Kim, L.T., J.B.Fleming, C. Lopez-Guzman, F. Nwariaku. Focal Adhesions and Associated Proteins in Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma Cells. J. Surg. Res. 111:177-184, 2003.
- Holloway, S., G. Sarosi, L. Kim, F. Nwariaku, G. O’Keefe, L. Hynan, C. Jones, T. Anthony. Health-Related Quality of Life and Postoperative Length of Stay for Patients with Colorectal Cancer. J. Surg. Res. 108: 273-278, 2002.
- Nwariaku, F.E., J. Champine, L. T. Kim, S. Burkey, G. O’Keefe, and W. H. Snyder III. Radiologic Characterization Of Adrenal Masses: The Role Of CT-Derived Attenuation Values. Surgery 130:1068-71, 2001.
- Gordon, L.L., W.H. Snyder III, F. Wians, Jr., F. Nwariaku, L.T. Kim. The validity of quick intraoperative parathyroid hormone assay: An evaluation in 72 patients based on gross morphologic criteria. Surgery 126:1030-5, 1999.
BOOK CHAPTERS AND INVITED REVIEWS
- Kim, L.T. Parathyroid Cancer. In: Emedicine, 26 April 2018. https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/280908-overview
- Kim, L.T., E.H. Harris, M.W. Krause. Hyperparathyroidisim. In: Emedicine, 17 December 2017. https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/127351-overview
- Mancino, A.T. and L. T. Kim Eds. Differentiated Thyroid Cancer. Springer. Cham. 2017.
- Black, J.B. and L.T. Kim. Prognostic and Risk Assessment Systems. In: Differentiated Thyroid Cancer. Kim, L.T. and Mancino, A.T. eds. Springer. Cham. 2017.
- Laks, Shakar, L.T. Kim, Y. Lucero. Trial registration and public access to data. In: Clinical Trials Design in Invasive Operative and Non Operative Procedures. Itani, K. and Reda, D. eds. Springer. Cham. 2017.
- Lopez, N.E., L.T. Kim. Quality Control in Procedural Studies. In: Clinical Trials Design in Invasive Operative and Non Operative Procedures. Itani, K. and Reda, D. eds. Springer. Cham. 2017.
- Kim, L.T.. Principles of Ultrasound and Applied Ultrasound Physics Relevant for Advanced Sonographers. In: Advanced Thyroid and Parathyroid Ultrasound. Milas, M., S. Mandel, J. E. Langer eds. Springer. Cham. 2017.
- Kim, L.T. Parathyroid Surgery. In: Surgical Pitfalls: Prevention and Management. Evans, S.R.T. ed. Saunders Elsevier. Philadelphia. 2009.
- Kim, L.T., and T. Anthony. Gastrointestinal carcinoid. In: Sleisinger and Fordtran’s Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease, 8th ed. Feldman, M., L.S. Friedman, M.H. Sleisinger eds. Saunders, Philadelphia. 2006.
- Snyder, W, Kim, L.T. Carcinoma of the Thyroid. Selected Readings in General Surgery. R.N. McClelland ed. 29(3), 2002.
- Snyder, W. Kim, L.T. Benign Conditions of the Thyroid. Selected Readings in General Surgery. R.N. McClelland ed. 29(2), 2002.
- Kim, L.T., and T. Anthony. Gastrointestinal carcinoid. In: Sleisinger and Fordtran’s Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease, 7th ed. Feldman, M., L.S. Friedman, M.H. Sleisinger eds. Saunders, Philadelphia 2002.
- Snyder, W., L.T. Kim, F. Nwariaku. The Adrenal Gland. Selected Readings in General Surgery. R.N. McClelland ed. v.26, n. 8 1999.
|Feeling Brain Fog? Overactive Parathyroid Glands Could be the Culprit! | January 22, 2019
Fatigue, brain fog, irritability, and an overwhelming desire to sleep were constant feelings for Eve Van Buren. She turned to the doctors at UNC Surgery to helped erase her overwhelming exhaustion. Read more about Eve’s story.