CASP & OPAT Publications
- OPAT Delivery during COVID-19. Michael J Swartwood, BSN, RN, CAPM, Renae A Boerneke, PharmD, BCPS, Alan C Kinlaw, PhD, Nikolaos Mavrogiorgos, MD, Ashley Marx, PharmD, Emily J Ciccone, MD, MHS, Asher J Schranz, MD, Mary C Bowman, MD, PhD, Claire E Farel, MD, MPH. Open Forum Infectious Diseases, Volume 7, Issue Supplement_1, October 2020, Page S308, https://doi.org/10.1093/ofid/ofaa439.676 Published: 31 December 2020
- Identifying Intervention Opportunities to Prevent Readmissions during OPAT. Michael J Swartwood, BSN, RN, CAPM, Claire E Farel, MD, MPH, Nikolaos Mavrogiorgos, MD, Renae A Boerneke, PharmD, BCPS, Ashley Marx, PharmD, Open Forum Infectious Diseases, Volume 7, Issue Supplement_1, October 2020, Page S365, https://doi.org/10.1093/ofid/ofaa439.801 Published: 31 December 2020
- Post-discharge Care Coordination Telephone Call for Patients Enrolled in the UNC OPAT Program. Renae A Boerneke, PharmD, BCPS, Michael J Swartwood, BSN, RN, CAPM, Alan C Kinlaw, PhD, Anita Holt, RN, Nikolaos Mavrogiorgos, MD, Open Forum Infectious Diseases, Volume 7, Issue Supplement_1, October 2020, Page S370, https://doi.org/10.1093/ofid/ofaa439.812 Published: 31 December 2020
- Mackenzie Warner, Sydney Browder, Michael Swartwood, Nikolaos Mavrogiorgos, Howard Kashefsky, Ashley Marx. (2020). Patients Treated for Lower Extremity Osteomyelitis in an Outpatient Parenteral Antibiotic Therapy (OPAT) Program.
- Kinlaw AC, Marx AH, Farel CE. Bias-Corrected Estimates of Time-Varying Adverse Drug Event Rates for Patients on Outpatient Parenteral Antimicrobial Therapy. Clin Infect Dis. 2018 Jul 2;67(2):316-318. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciy104.
- Cawcutt KA, Patel R, Gerber J, Caliendo AM, Cosgrove SE, Ashley ED, Garzaro P, Miller M, Lautenbach E; IDSA Research Summit ‘Leveraging Existing and Novel Diagnostics for Optimizing Outpatient Antibiotic Stewardship in Patients with Respiratory Tract Infections’ Group. Leveraging Existing and Soon-to-Be-Available Novel Diagnostics for Optimizing Outpatient Antibiotic Stewardship in Patients with Respiratory Tract Infections. Clin Infect Dis. 2020 Dec 4:ciaa1815. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciaa1815. Epub ahead of print.
- Parr JB.Time to Reassess Tocilizumab’s Role in COVID-19 Pneumonia. JAMA Intern Med. Published online October 20, 2020. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2020.6557
- Willis ZI, Wilson WS. Revised Daptomycin Interpretation Criteria for Enterococcus faecium: What Are the Implications for Children? J Pediatric Infect Dis Soc. 2020;9(2):265-267. doi:10.1093/jpids/piz066
- Daniels LM, Weber DJ. Interventions to improve antibiotic prescribing at hospital discharge: A systematic review. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 2020 Sept 1: 1-4 doi: 10.1017/ice.2020.367
- Layton JB, McGrath LJ, Sahrmann JM, Ma Y, Dharnidharka VR, O’Neil C, Weber DJ, Butler AM. Comparative safety of high-dose versus standard-dose influenza vaccination in patients with end-stage renal disease. Vaccine. 2020 Jul 14;38(33):5178-5186.
- Rhea S, Jones K, Endres-Dighe S, Munoz B, Weber DJ, Hilscher R, MacFarquhar J, Sickbert-Bennett E, DiBiase L, Marx A, Rineer J, Lewis J, Bobashev G. Modeling inpatient and outpatient antibiotic stewardship interventions to reduce the burden of Clostridioides difficile infection in a regional healthcare network. PLoS One. 2020;15(6):e0234031. Published 2020 Jun 11. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0234031
- Asher Schranz, Alan Kinlaw, Michael Swartwood, Ashley Marx, Renae Boerneke, Tenesha Medlin, Erin Mays, Claire E. Farel. OPAT at the End of Life?: Short and Long-Term Mortality Following Outpatient Parenteral Antibiotic Therapy. Open Forum Infectious Diseases, Volume 6, Issue supplement 2, 23 October 2019, Page S383, https://doi.org/10.1093/ofid/ofz360.944
- Bobbi Jo Walston, Lisa Fletcher, William Wilson, Renae Boerneke, Ashley Marx, John Vargas, Claire Farel. Implementation of a Pharmacist-led Intervention for Infectious Diseases Patients Discharged on Antimicrobials: the Infectious Diseases Discharge Outreach and Retention (ID DOOR) Program. Open Forum Infectious Diseases, Volume 6, Issue supplement 2, 23 October 2019, Pages S333–S334, https://doi.org/10.1093/ofid/ofz360.815
- Walker Mason, Alan Kinlaw, Emily Ciccone, Kevin Alby, Melissa Miller, Lindsay Daniels. Implementation of rapid diagnostic testing and antimicrobial stewardship interventions to reduce time to optimal therapy for Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia. October 2019 (Poster requires UNC Health log in.) Summary: This was a successful multidisciplinary collaborative project implementing rapid diagnostic testing and antimicrobial stewardship interventions to reduce time to optimal antimicrobial therapy for patients with for S. aureus bacteremia.
- Zach Willis, May-Britt Sten, Ronald Davis, Donna Krzastek, Lindsay Daniels, Jon Juliano, Clare Mock, Michael Swartwood, and Will Stanley. Implementation of Antibiotic Time Outs at UNC Medical Center. October 2019.
- Emily Ciccone, Alan C. Kinlaw, Wilbur Woodhouse, Vahini Chundi, Melissa B. Miller, David J. Weber, Jonathan J. Juliano, Ravi Jhaveri, and Zachary Willis on behalf of the UNC Medical Center Carolina Antimicrobial Stewardship Program. Respiratory Viral Testing and Antimicrobial De-escalation Among Hospitalized Patients at a Tertiary Care Facility, 2015-2016: A Matched Cohort Study Series. Open Forum Infectious Diseases, Volume 6, Issue supplement 2, 23 October 2019, Page S986, https://doi.org/10.1093/ofid/ofz360.2467
- Ashley Marx, Vahini Chundi, Jill Zaccardelli, Jon Oriet, Tim Angle, Michael Swartwood, Lindsay Daniels, Ross Boyce, Jonathan Juliano. Effects of An Antimicrobial Stewardship Team-led Staphylococcus aureus Bacteremia Management Bundle: A Quasi-Experimental Study. Open Forum Infectious Diseases, Volume 6, Issue supplement 2, 23 October 2019, Page S366, https://doi.org/10.1093/ofid/ofz360.904
- Erin Mays, Alan Kinlaw, Michael Swartwood, Asher Schranz, Renae Boerneke, Claire Farel, Ashley Marx. Evaluation of Adverse Drug Reactions due to Common Beta-Lactam Therapies Among Patients Enrolled in an Outpatient Parenteral Antimicrobial Therapy (OPAT) Program. Open Forum Infectious Diseases, Volume 6, Issue supplement 2, 23 October 2019, Page S332, https://doi.org/10.1093/ofid/ofz360.811
- Vancomycin Treatment and Time to Adverse Drug Reactions During Outpatient Parenteral Antimicrobial Therapy (OPAT). Open Forum Infectious Diseases, Volume 5, Issue suppl_1, 26 November 2018, Pages S554. Ashley Marx on behalf of the
- The Impact of a Positive Respiratory Viral Panel Among Hospitalized Adult Patients with Negative Rapid Influenza Testing at an Academic Tertiary Care Facility: A-matched Cohort Study. Open Forum Infectious Diseases, Volume 5, Issue suppl 1, 26 November 2018, Pages S268.
- Clinical review of Clostridium difficile infection: an update on treatment and prevention. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2018 Nov;19(16):1759-1769. doi: 10.1080/14656566.2018.1524872. Epub 2018 Sep 25. Review. PubMed PMID: 30220230.
- Heil EL, Daniels LM, Long DM, Rodino KG, Weber DJ, Miller MB. Impact of a rapid peptide nucleic acid fluorescence in situ hybridization assay on treatment of Candida infections. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2012 Nov 1;69(21):1910-4. doi: 10.2146/ajhp110604.
- Kufel WD, Jeffres MN, MacDougall C, Cho JC, Marx AH, Williams DM. Antimicrobial stewardship education in US colleges and schools of pharmacy. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2018;73(8):2252-2258. doi:10.1093/jac/dky166
- Schultz K, Sickbert-Bennett E, Marx A, Weber DJ, DiBiase LM, Campbell-Bright S, Bode LE, Baker M, Belhorn T, Buchanan M, Goldbach S, Harden J, Hoke E, Huenniger B, Juliano JJ, Langston M, Ritchie H, Rutala WA, Smith J, Summerlin-Long S, Teal L, Gilligan P. Preventable patient harm: A multidisciplinary, bundled approach to reducing Clostridium difficile infections while using a GDH/toxin immunochromagraphic assay/NAAT diagnostic algorithm. J Clin Microbiol. 2018 Jul 11. pii: JCM.00625-18. doi: 10.1128/JCM.00625-18.
- Combating Carbapenem-Resistant Enterobacteriaceae: a presentation by Laurence Wright, PharmD, as a part of the Carolina Antimicrobial Stewardship Program Learning Series, September 2018
- Onyeka Nwankwo, Anh Eichholz, Vahini Chundi, Alan Kinlaw, Tenesha Medlin, Lisa Fletcher, Wesley Kufel, Claire Farel, Ashley Marx. Characterization of Readmissions Among Patients Enrolled in an Outpatient Parenteral Antimicrobial Therapy (OPAT) Program Over a 2-Year Period at UNC Medical Center. Open Forum Infectious Diseases, Volume 4, Issue suppl 1, 1 October 2017, Pages S335, https://doi.org/10.1093/ofid/ofx163.795
- Vahini Chundi, Anh Eichholz, Onyeka Nwankwo, Alan Kinlaw, Wesley Kufel, Tenesha Medlin, Lisa Fletcher, Ashley Marx, Claire Farel. Adverse Drug Reactions Among Patients Enrolled in an Outpatient Parenteral Antimicrobial Therapy (OPAT) Program 2015–2016 at UNC Medical Center. Open Forum Infectious Diseases, Volume 4, Issue suppl 1, 1 October 2017, Pages S341, https://doi.org/10.1093/ofid/ofx163.813
- Emily Ciccone, Vahini Chundi, Melissa Miller, Lauren DiBiase, David Weber, Jonathan Juliano, Ravi Jhaveri, Zachary Willis, on behalf of the UNC Antimicrobial Stewardship Team. The Impact of Respiratory Viral Testing in Hospitalized Adult Patients at a Tertiary Care Facility. Open Forum Infectious Diseases, Volume 4, Issue suppl 1, 1 October 2017, Pages S510, https://doi.org/10.1093/ofid/ofx163.1323
- Marx A, Daniels L, Miller MB, Weber DJ. Vancomycin Minimum Inhibitory Concentration Is Not a Substitute for Clinical Judgment: Response to Healthcare-Associated Ventriculitis and Meningitis. Clin Infect Dis. 2017 Oct 15;65(8):1428-1429. doi: 10.1093/cid/cix552.
- Bezlotoxumab: A Novel Agent for the Prevention of Recurrent Clostridium difficile Infection. Pharmacotherapy. 2017 Oct;37(10):1298-1308. doi: 10.1002/phar.1990. Epub 2017 Sep 12. Review. PubMed PMID: 28730660.
- Daniels LM, Juliano J, Marx A, Weber DJ. Inhaled Antibiotics for Hospital-Acquired and Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia. Clin Infect Dis. 2017 Feb 1;64(3):386-387. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciw726. Epub 2016 Nov 1
Impact of a rapid microarray-based assay for identification of positive blood cultures for treatment optimization for patients with streptococcal and enterococcal bacteremia. J Clin Microbiol. 2015 Apr;53(4):1411-4. doi: 10.1128/JCM.00104-15. Epub 2015 Feb 11. PubMed PMID: 25673785; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4365208.
- Alby K, Daniels LM, Weber DJ, Miller MB. Development of a treatment algorithm for streptococci and enterococci from positive blood cultures identified with the Verigene Gram-positive blood culture assay. J Clin Microbiol. 2013 Nov;51(11):3869-71. doi: 10.1128/JCM.01587-13. Epub 2013 Aug 28.