Coverage and Training Room
With exceptional access to the highly successful, broad-based athletics program of the University of North Carolina Tar Heels (winners of 47 NCAA Division I team championships and counting!) as the cornerstone, our fellows have wide-ranging opportunities to build experience and skills in event coverage.
- UNC Football – Fellows actively participate in pre-game, in-game, post-game and training room activities,
working hands-on with student-athletes under the direction of the Team Physician
- UNC Men’s Basketball and UNC Women’s Basketball – Fellows provide coverage for home games and work with student athletes as directed by the Team Physician
- High School Football – Fellows will each serve as Team Physician for a high school football team from Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools or Chatham County Schools, covering home and away games throughout the fall and following up on injuries through the Saturday morning injury clinic
- UNC Olympic Sports – With opportunities to be involved in coverage and student athlete care across Soccer, Lacrosse, Volleyball, Field Hockey, Wrestling, Gymnastics, Track and Field, Baseball, Softball, Tennis, Swimming and Diving, Cross Country, Fencing, Golf and Rowing, fellows can tailor experiences to their interests (involvement with university sport clubs is also available)
- ACC and NCAA Championships – UNC’s combination of elite athletics, beautiful facilities and extraordinary sports administration makes Carolina a frequent host for ACC and NCAA Championship events which our fellows assist in covering
- Professional and National Teams – Sports Medicine Physicians at Carolina Family Practice and Sports Medicine work with the Carolina Hurricanes, USA Baseball, North Carolina Football Club, North Carolina Courage and the Carolina Ballet, and through this connection our fellows often coordinate event coverage experiences
- Special Olympics – The UNC Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship Program has proudly provided event coverage for the Special Olympics of North Carolina for over a decade
- And More! – Our program has always been open to new opportunities, and while we never know what might come next, prior fellows have provided coverage for the Olympic Games, marathons and other mass participation races, professional ultimate Frisbee, professional indoor football, USA Track and Field National Youth Outdoor Track and Field Championships, MEAC events, CIAA events and much more!