Who Qualifies for the Weight Management Program?
The UNC Weight Management Program is open to all qualified participants.
- Greater than 18 years of age
- Body Mass Index/BMI of 30 or greater. Click here to calculate your BMI.
- OR BMI of 25 or greater AND a diagnosis of high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, osteoarthritis, obstructive sleep apnea, gastroesophageal reflux disease, polycystic ovarian syndrome and/or weight-related liver disease
- Willingness to commit to the full program (6 month minimum)
What is included?
- Participants are expected to meet with their counselor on a regular basis for 6 to 12 months, depending on goals and progress.
- Participants first attend an initial orientation appointment; subsequent follow-up visits are 30-minute individual appointments.
- Participants who attend appointments 2 times a month for at least the first 6 months are more likely to reach their goals.
When can I see a provider?
Appointment times vary:
- Individual appointments are currently available on Mondays, Tuesday afternoons, and Thursdays.
- Group counseling occurs on Thursdays from 4-5pm
What is the cost? Is it covered by insurance?
Your insurance will be billed for each visit. With most insurances this is a free or low-cost service. Please speak with our financial counselors at 984-974-0210 to help verify your coverage and out-of-pocket costs prior to receiving service. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
All patients are welcome regardless of health insurance status or type of insurance.
For Referring Providers
Instructions for referral to the UNC Weight Management Program at Family Medicine using EPIC:
- In the orders and medications panel search for “Obesity”
- Click on the “database” tab
- Select AMB REFERRAL TO WEIGHT MANAGEMENT
- Alternatively you could search for “REF166”
If you are a non-UNC provider and/or have questions, please call the UNC Weight Management Program at 984-974-6519.