Facilities and SEAHEC
New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington, North Carolina
Students learn and work at New Hanover Regional Medical Center (NHRMC) and its affiliates. NHRMC is the ninth-largest hospital in North Carolina and the largest county-owned public hospital in the state.
NHRMC is the region’s leading provider of healthcare services including specialized care in cardiology, neurosurgery, obstetrics, oncology, orthopedics, minimally invasive surgery, vascular surgery, pediatric critical care, trauma care, graduate medical education, renal care, inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation and behavioral health.
In addition, NHRMC Physician Group – a network of more than 200 providers – offers services for the entire family from primary and urgent care to specialty care with locations in New Hanover, Brunswick, Onslow, Columbus, Duplin and Pender counties.
The hospital and all of its facilities are dedicated to providing high quality care and an excellent experience beyond the doors of its facilities. The NHRMC team is committed to its mission of “leading our community to outstanding health.” More information about the New Hanover Regional Medical Center
NHRMC remains a leader in healthcare delivery. Its numerous awards and recognitions for quality care, patient safety and patient experience as well as commitment to expanding services is evident among its accomplishments.
- Included in the 100 Safecare Hospitals list by Safecare Group, along with a Grade “A” Hospital Safety Score from the Leapfrog Group
- Betty H. Cameron Women’s & Children’s Hospital named a Women’s Choice Award as one of America’s best hospitals for patient experience
- Comprehensive maternal-fetal, midwifery and pregnancy centering services offered in a Baby-Friendly Designated Facility
- A renovated cancer center, redesigned with patient, family and caregiver feedback, that is designated as a national Teaching Hospital Program by the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer
- Advanced surgical services available at NHRMC Surgical Pavilion
- NHRMC ED-North, a standalone emergency department, opened in May 2015
- 2017 completion of the expansion and renovation of the main Emergency Department, which doubled patient care capacity
- New Hanover Medical Group—a part of the NHRMC Physician Group—recognized as a National Committee for Patient-Center Medical Home (NCQA PCMH), with all four locations attaining this distinction
- The region’s first air ambulance service, established in 2001, which recently received the AAMS Critical Care Ground Award
- Nationally renowned Orthopedic Hospital, including a 5-star rating for knee replacement from Healthgrades
- Pender Memorial Hospital, recognized for excellence in quality by the National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health
NHRMC has 73 residents in four residency programs that include:
- Internal Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
Southeastern Area Health Education Center
Through a national-led effort, North Carolina was one of the first states to establish an Area Health Education Center (AHEC). AHECs provide the same quality of training, education and resources traditionally only available to healthcare care professionals located near medical schools and major universities. Southeastern Area Health Education Center (SEAHEC), established in 1972, is one of nine AHECs designed to move medical care away from metropolitan areas and into rural communities. As the largest foundation-based healthcare not-for-profit in the Wilmington area, SEAHEC is still fulfilling its mission to improve the quality of healthcare in the region by providing training, education, and resources in New Hanover, Pender, Brunswick, Duplin and Columbus Counties. More information about the Southeastern Area Health Education Center