How to Apply
Due to COVID-19-imposed limitations, all interview days will be conducted virtually.
Application for the program should be made in the final year of the applicant’s house staff training or later. Applications should be submitted before the middle of August, 10 months before matriculation is desired. We participate in the Medical Specialty Matching Program (MSMP). Occasionally, unexpected openings sometimes occur after match so qualified applicants interested in our program should contact the department even past appropriate deadlines.
The Division of Hematology/Oncology accepts applications on the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) Fellowship Application website. The following documents should be submitted to the ERAS electronic document office:
- Personal statement describing your long term career goals and plans for research. It is especially helpful if you identify areas of research interest (either by tumor type of interest or research methodology)
- Three letters of recommendation: one letter of reference from the program director of the residency program in which the applicant has most recently served; and two letters of reference from members of the medical staff of the hospital affiliated with the sponsoring institution of that residency program
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)/Dean’s Letter
- Medical School Transcript
- USMLE scores
- Wallet-sized color photo
*The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill only accepts J1 visas and permanent residents.*H1B visas are not permitted by the Health System.
The July 1, 2020 fellowship positions have been filled.
- ERAS opens to applicants July 1, 2020 (There will be 7 first year fellowship positions to fill.)
- Programs begin to download applicant information August 12, 2020
- Interviews are offered on a rolling basis. Our slots fill quickly. Interview days will be offered based on the availability of faculty selected by the program director as most likely to be suitable mentors for each individual applicants. Thus, not all interview days will be available for each applicant invited to interview.
- Interview Days for 2020 include
- Mondays September 14 and September 21
- Tuesday October 13
- Wednesday October 21
- Fridays September 18 and September 25
- Rank lists are due November 18, 2020
- Match Day December 2, 2020
- Fellowship Training Begins July 1, 2021
If you have questions regarding the program or its application process please contact our Fellowship Program Coordinator, Terri King.
Last updated May 21, 2020