Alyssa Tilly, MD
Alyssa Tilly, MD

The Hastings Center Cunniff-Dixon Physicians Award is an honor only six physicians every two years receive. Alyssa Tilly, MD, assistant professor in the Division of General Medicine and Clinical Epidemiology, and the UNC Palliative Care Program, has been named a 2022 recipient.

“I was overwhelmed with gratitude,” Dr. Tilly said. “I feel so fortunate to be able to work in a field I am so passionate about and to have the support of so many wonderful colleagues and mentors to pursue my interests.”

The Cunniff-Dixon Physicians Award recognize clinicians who dedicate their time to patients near the end of life through clinical work, research or service to the community. As a hospice and palliative medicine physician for both adults and children, Dr. Tilly provides her patients with companionship and the highest level of care during their final stages.

“I get the chance to work on wonderful interdisciplinary teams, to help relieve suffering through hearing the stories of these patients and their families,” Dr. Tilly said. “Working at UNC has also afforded me opportunities to engage in education and research related to palliative and end-of-life care, both here at UNC and abroad.”

The physicians awarded have a strong grasp on how to best deploy care for individual patients, engage a dying person in his or her course of treatment and create a bond with each person.

“Working in this field, I get the distinct privilege of spending time with patients and their families to help them navigate what is often one of the most challenging times in their lives and to provide them with care that aligns with their goals,” Dr. Tilly said. “The ability to combine this focus of clinical care with research and education to advance palliative medicine both locally and globally enriches my life.”

Tilly was nominated by Laura Hanson, MD, MPH, medical director of the UNC Palliative Care Program, and then selected by The Hastings Center Cunniff-Dixon Foundation Selection Committee. Tilly will receive $15,000 and be honored with an award ceremony.