UNC investigators lead numerous research studies, including clinical trials, for persons with serious illness, and their families. In addition to individual research projects, we also lead the Measurement Core of the Palliative Care Research Cooperative group – a nationwide interdisciplinary research network funded by NIH-NINR to advance palliative care science and improve care for people with serious illness. Research is facilitated by collaboration and support across the UNC Health Affairs campus, including the North Carolina Translational and Clinical Sciences Institute, the Cecil G. Sheps Center for Health Services Research, UNC Center for Aging and Health, and the Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center.
UNC Palliative Care investigators conduct research to improve care and outcomes, including:
Palliative care for persons with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias
- Hanson LC, Kistler CE, Lavin K, Gabriel SL, Ernecoff NC, Lin FC, Sachs GA, Mitchell SL. Triggered Palliative Care for Late-stage Dementia: a Pilot Randomized Trial. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2019; 57(1): 10-19
- Toles M, Song MK, Lin FC, Hanson LC. Perceptions of Family Decision-makers of Nursing Home Residents With Advanced Dementia Regarding the Quality of Communication Around End-of-Life Care. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018;19(10):879-883.
- Ernecoff NC, Zimmerman S, Mitchell SL, Song MK, Lin FC, Wessell KL, Hanson LC. Concordance between Goals of Care and Treatment Decisions for Persons with Dementia. J Palliat Med. 2018;21(10):1442-1447.
- Mitchell SL, Shaffer ML, Cohen S, Hanson LC, Habtemariam D, Volandes AE. An Advance Care Planning Video Decision Support Tool for Nursing Home Residents With Advanced Dementia: A Cluster Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Intern Med. 2018;178(7):961–969.
- Hanson LC, Zimmerman S, Song MK, Lin FC, Rosemond C, Carey TS, Mitchell SL. Effect of the Goals of Care Intervention for Advanced Dementia: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Intern Med. 2017;177(1):24-31.
- Hanson LC, Carey TS, Caprio AJ, Lee TJ, Ersek M, Garrett J, Jackman A, Gilliam R, Wessell K, Mitchell SL. Improving decision making for feeding options in dementia care: a randomized trial. J Am Geriatr Soc 2011; 59:2009-2016.
Palliative and supportive care for persons with cystic fibrosis
- Dellon EP, Helms SW, Hailey CE, Shay R, Carney SD, Schmidt HJ, Brown DE, Prieur MG. Exploring knowledge and perceptions of palliative care to inform integration of palliative care education into cystic fibrosis care. Pediatric pulmonology. 2018;53(9):1218-1224.
- Farber JG, Prieur MG, Roach C, Shay R, Walter M, Borowitz D, Dellon EP. Difficult conversations: Discussing prognosis with children with cystic fibrosis. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2018;53(5):592-598.
Innovative models for palliative care in cancer
- DiMartino LD, Weiner BJ, Hanson LC, Weinberger M, Birken SA, Reeder-Hayes K, Trogdon JG. Inpatient Palliative Care Consultation and 30-Day Readmissions in Oncology. J Palliat Med. 2018;21(1):62-68.
- Hanson LC, Collichio F, Bernard SA, Wood WA, Milowsky M, Burgess E, Creedle CJ, Cheek S, Chang L, Chera B, Fox A. Integrating Palliative and Oncology Care for Patients with Advanced Cancer: A Quality Improvement Intervention. J Palliat Med. 2017;20(12):1366-1371.
- Mayer DK, Deal AM, Crane JM, Chen RC, Asher GN, Hanson LC, Wheeler SB, Gerstel A, Green M, Birken S, Rosenstein DL. Using Survivorship Care Plans to Enhance Communication and Cancer Care Coordination: Results of a Pilot Study. Oncol Nurs Forum. 2016;43(5):636-645.
Measuring the quality of palliative and hospice care
- Dolin R, Silberman P, Kirk DA, Stearns SC, Hanson LC, Taylor DH Jr, Holmes GM. Do Live Discharge Rates Increase as Hospices Approach Their Medicare Aggregate Payment Caps? J Pain Symptom Manage. 2018;55(3):775-784.
- Zheng NT, Li Q, Hanson LC, Wessell KL, Chong N, Sherif N, Broyles IH, Frank J, Kirk MA, Schwartz CR, Levitt AF. Nationwide Quality of Hospice Care: Findings From the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Hospice Quality Reporting Program. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2018;55(2):427-432 e421.
- Bennett AV, Lee S, Drier S, Wessell KL, Hanson LC. A Library of Instruments Endorsed by Published Systematic Reviews for Assessing Patients and Their Care Developed by the Palliative Care Research Cooperative. J Palliat Med. 2017;20(9):910-911.
Communication and decision making
- Li L, Nelson JE, Hanson LC, Cox CE, Carson SS, Chai EJ, Keller KL, Tulsky JA, Danis M. How Surrogate Decision-Makers for Patients With Chronic Critical Illness Perceive and Carry Out Their Role. Crit Care Med. 2018;46(5):699-704.
- Platts-Mills TF, Richmond NL, LeFebvre EM, Mangipudi SA, Hollowell AG, Travers D, Biese K, Hanson LC, Volandes AE. Availability of Advance Care Planning Documentation for Older Emergency Department Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study. J Palliat Med. 2017;20(1):74-78.
- Carson SS, Cox CE, Wallenstein S, Hanson LC, Danis M, Tulsky JA, Chai E, Nelson JE. Effect of Palliative Care-Led Meetings for Families of Patients With Chronic Critical Illness: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2016;316(1):51-62.
Supporting parents and young families facing advanced cancer
- Hailey CE, Yopp JM, Deal AM, Mayer DK, Reeder-Hayes KE, Hanson LC, Grunfeld G, Rosenstein DL, Park EM. Communication with children and psychological distress in parents with advanced cancer: a mixed-methods study. Supportive Care in Cancer, 2018; 26:287-295.
- Rosenstein, D. L., & Yopp, J. M. (2018). The Group: Seven Widowed Fathers Reimagine Life: Oxford University Press.
- Park EM, Check DK, Song MK, Reeder-Hayes KE, Hanson LC, Yopp JM, Rosenstein DL, Mayer DK. Parenting while living with advanced cancer: A qualitative study. Palliat Med. 2017;31(3):231-238.