Please join us in congratulating Ms. Taylor Dismuke (@labcoatglam) as our SBBS Scientist of the Month (November)! Taylor is a 4th year doctoral candidate in the department of Pathobiology and Translational Science. She is originally from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma and currently serves as the SBBS Social Committee Chair.

How did you become interested in science?\What made you pursue a PhD in biomedical sciences?

“I became interested in science at a young age before I knew that someone that looked like me could be a scientist.  My curiosity began with a goldfish as a child but it was in my undergraduate lab at Langston University where I was expose to this new art of exploration. I pursued a doctoral degree in biomedical sciences because I wanted to gain more training in the resolve of human disease.”

What is something cool about your research that you would like people to know?

“I currently look at novel drug treatments efficacy and mechanism in our medulloblastoma mouse model, a preclinical model for pediatric brain cancer.  The drugs I study are current drugs used for other various cancers (breast cancer, glioblastoma) treatment.  My project is so close to the translational application that we actually collaborate with companies that are preparing for clinical trials.  Therefore, when my family asks if I am trying to cure cancer my answer is always “Yes, I am.””

Any details about your successful endeavors that you would like us to include?

“Recently I was awarded a predoctoral F31 NIH fellowship that will fund my doctoral thesis work for the next few years.  I also just publicly launched my scientific STEM mentoring outreach program, BRDGE Alliance, where our focus is to empower, relate, and develop STEM undergraduate students at HBCUs. BRDGE Alliance utilizes the experiences of black graduate students and STEM professionals around the nation to push these students as they embark on their own STEM paths (Brdgealliance.org and @BRDGEAlliance on Twitter/IG).”

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

“Ten years?  Well in ten years, I see myself doing several things.  I envision myself leading a scientific team of diverse scientists as we push for novel therapies in the treatment of cancer.  I see people across the world seeking my voice to host workshops and/or motivational talks. I also see BRDGE Alliance as a widely supported non-profit that is able to fund several scholarships every year to HBCU students, increase diverse representations in STEM graduate programs, and truly be one of the many aids for success.”

What is a piece of advice that you would give Black students who want to pursue a career in the biomedical sciences?

“My piece of advice would be to never allow ‘fear of failure’; be in the driver’s seat of your life.  Send that e-mail.  Apply for that program or scholarship.  Pursue the things you feel are out of your reach.  You will be surprised of the things that may happen if you decide that fear will not direct your journey.