Report an Incident
The Information Security & Privacy Office responds to and investigates incidents related to misuse or abuse of UNC School of Medicine information technology resources. This includes computer and network security breaches and unauthorized disclosure or modification of institutional or personal information. Incident reports are submitted to the UNC Healthcare System Security Incident Response Team (SIRT) which addresses security and privacy incidents. SIRT is a joint effort that includes UNC Hospitals, UNC Physicians & Associates, and UNC School of Medicine.
General Reporting Procedures
For non-emergency reports of IT security or abuse incidents, send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Emergency Reporting Procedures
For emergency IT incidents involving threats to personal safety/physical property or illegal activities, immediately contact the campus police department at (919) 962-8100.
SOM IT Help Options
- Walk-in Support: 065 MacNider Hall: Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri 8am-5pm; Wed 9am-5pm
- 24/7 Phone Support: (919) 962-HELP
Information Security & Privacy Staff Contact Information
For information security and privacy incidents please contact:
- Cheryl Lytle, SOM IT Security Analyst – Cheryl_Lytle@med.unc.edu
- Kevin Murphy, SOM IT Security Analyst – Kevin_Murphy@med.unc.edu
- If you suspect that an email is a phishing attempt, forward your email as an attachment to email@example.com so it can be reviewed and blocked by security.
- Click here for instructions on how to forward an email as an attachment
- If you fear your data may have been compromised in a phishing attempt, call 962-HELP immediately to submit a critical ticket to SOM IT Security.