Director, Adult Cardiac Surgery
Assistant Professor of Surgery
Director, Adult Cardiac Surgery; Medical Director, UNC Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) program. Adult cardiac and thoracic surgery including heart and lung transplantation and ventricular assist device (VAD) implantation. Special interest in aortic surgery including the ascending, arch pathology, thoracic aorta and aortic root, transcatheter aortic valve surgery, mitral and aortic valvular surgery, minimally invasive approaches to cardiac surgery; video assisted thoracic surgery.
Surgical treatment of the aorta, transcatheter valvular surgery, hybrid coronary revascularization and valvular surgery; therapeutic uses of synthetic cardiac stem cells.
Education and Training
- Surgical Fellow, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- Chief Resident in Surgery, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV
- Resident, Surgery, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV
- Resident, Surgery, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
- MD, West Virginia University School of Medicine, Morgantown, WV
- BA, Summa Cum Laude (Major in Biology and Philosophy, Minor in English), West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV
American Board of Thoracic Surgery
View Dr. Caranasos’ recent research publications on PubMed.