Physician Assistant Residency Program
UNC Adult and Congenital Cardiac Surgery Physician Assistant Residency Program
This program is a 12 month postgraduate Physician Assistant residency that integrates didactic and clinical curriculum in the surgical specialties of Adult and Congenital Cardiac Surgery. The PA resident will receive intensive training that includes a strong knowledge base and surgical skill set focused in Adult and Congenital Cardiac Surgery. Training will ensure an equal exposure to both specialties and incorporate rotations in the OR, TICU, PICU, stepdown unit, ECHO lab, clinic, and catheterization lab.
Clinical curriculum will encompass the full spectrum of a surgical patient’s care, however, significant focus will be placed on obtaining surgical skills and operative experience. A PA resident is expected to develop competency in endoscopic vein harvest and surgical assisting on a wide range of Cardiac Surgery cases.
The didactic component will include surgical simulation, assigned readings, faculty led lectures, M&M conference, industry training and certification, and PA resident presentations.
A graduate from this PA residency program will possess the capability to diagnose, provide patient education, develop and implement a treatment plan, surgical assist intraoperatively, and manage the patient postoperatively.
● Accepting Applications: Fall 2023
● Application deadline: May 1, 2024
● Interviews: May 2024
● Choose Applicant: June 1, 2024
● Start Date: Fall 2024, dependent on Licensure and Credentialing
An applicant must graduate from an ARC-PA accredited Physician Assistant program and pass the NCCPA board exam prior to beginning the residency program.
Applicant Selection Criteria
- Personal Interview
- Possessing a self motivated and driven personality
- 2 Letters of Recommendation (if recent grad: one letter must be from the PA Program Director, if currently employed as a PA: one letter must be from a current employer). Please submit letters to email@example.com
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Personal Statement: provide a statement about a personal or professional experience that led to your interest in Cardiac Surgery. Please submit a personal statement to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Completion and submission of all application components
- NCCPA, BLS, ACLS, PALS
- Required Licensure:
North Carolina Physician Assistant License
Upon completion of the UNC Adult and Congenital Cardiac Surgery Physician Assistant Residency program, the graduate will receive a certificate of completion from the University of North Carolina Hospital, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery. The certificate will be signed by the Program Director, Medical Director, and Chair of the Department of Surgery.
(link coming soon)