UNC Fellowship Programs
UNC Fellowship programs in Rheumatology and Allergy & Immunology are nationally recognized for providing rich, comprehensive and multidimensional learning environments. Fellows also benefit from frequent access to instructors who are innovators and thought leaders in their areas of practice.
Our fellows benefit from working with very diverse patient populations and are trained in the wide variety of skills needed to treat the entire disease spectrum of their specialties. They are well prepared to pursue their future professional goals – whether that entails clinical practice, research, clinical education, or some combination.
Our rigorous Rheumatology Fellowship Program offers both didactic training and clinical experiences that include:
- An outpatient continuity clinic
- Inpatient consultation services
- Specialty rotations tailored to the participants’ interests
In addition, fellows who choose to participate in our “Research Track” will devote an additional year or more to complete a specialized, mentored research program.
Similarly, participants in our Allergy and Immunology Fellowship Program have numerous research-based opportunities that help prepare them for futures as tomorrow’s healthcare leaders.
Key elements include:
- Formal training including lectures, a journal club and case conferences.
- Patient care is taught through a combination of “attending clinics” as well as adult and pediatric continuity clinics.
- All fellows follow our “Core” 2-year training program that includes 1 year with a clinical focus followed by 1 year with a research focus.
- Those considering a future career in research may be eligible for an optional, funded additional year of research-focused training.
Combined training in Rheumatology and Allergy & Immunology is available to interested fellows who desire preparation for dual certification.
We invite you to learn more about the educational opportunities offered by our Fellowship Programs, check out our Fellowship Program Videos, and learn more about why UNC in Chapel Hill, NC, is such an exciting place to learn, and a wonderful place to live.