The UNC SOM Center for Tobacco Regulatory Science and Lung Health P50 plans to award 2-3 pilot projects (up to $3,000 in direct costs) to UNC-CH postdoctoral fellows.
The purpose of the pilot projects are to allow fellows to pursue tobacco regulation research related to the effects of new and emerging tobacco products (e.g., little cigars, hookah, e-cigs, etc.) on innate defense. Pilot projects should seek to characterize the health effects of new and emerging tobacco products in an effort to inform the FDA’s tobacco regulatory practices. Please note that by law, the FDA can only fund studies that directly pertain to tobacco regulatory science, and they cannot fund research that will not inform or advise a future tobacco policy. Graduate students are NOT eligible to apply.
Friday, June 27, 2014. Deadline for submission of Letter of Intent emailed to Shawn Terryah (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 5:00pm. The one-page letter of intent must include the following:
- Name and Academic position
- Title of the pilot project
- Future scientific plans regarding new and emerging tobacco products (i.e., “Research Outline”)
- Statement regarding the applicability of the proposed pilot project to the UNC Center for Tobacco Regulatory Science and Lung Health
Monday, July 14, 2014. Invitation to submit a full application
Thursday, August 14, 2014. Deadline for submission of full application emailed to Shawn Terryah at email@example.com by 5:00pm. The full application is comprised of the following forms, which are available at http://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/phs398/phs398.html. Applications should not exceed the page limits and format below:
- Form Page 1: Face Page (Q2. Number, n/a; Q2. Title, UNC School of Medicine TCORS Pilot Project Program; Date of proposed period of supports, 09/01/2014 through 08/31/2015; Q11-Q13 do not need to be completed)
- Form Page 2: Summary, Relevance, Project/Performance Sites, Senior/Key Personnel, Other Significant Contributors, and Human Embryonic Stem Cells (Project Summary and Relevance sections should not exceed the box provided; Relevance refers to how the pilot project will contribute to the overall theme of the UNC Center for Tobacco Regulatory Science and Lung Health/Innate Defense)
- Continuation Format Page (Research strategy including background, specific aims, and any preliminary data; 3-5 pages not including references)
- Form Page 4: Detailed Budget for Initial Budget Period (salary or funding for travel not allowed)
- Biographical Sketch Format Page (see Biographical Sketch Sample)
Friday, August 22, 2014. Notice of awards.