Assistant Professor of Surgery
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery
3040 Burnett-Womack Building, CB #7065
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7065
Medical director, UNC Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) program. Adult cardiac and thoracic surgery including heart and lung transplantation. Special interest in aortic surgery including the ascending, arch pathology, thoracic aorta and aortic root, transcatheter aortic valve surgery, mitral and aortic valvular surgery, minimally invasive approaches to cardiac surgery; video assisted thoracic surgery.
Surgical treatment of the aorta, transcatheter valvular surgery, hybrid coronary revascularization and valvular surgery.
Education and Training
- Surgical Fellow, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 2012-2014
- Chief Resident in Surgery, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, 2011-2012
- Resident, Surgery, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, 2008-2012
- Resident, Surgery, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, 2007-2008
- M.D., West Virginia University School of Medicine, Morgantown, WV, 2007
- B.A, Summa Cum Laude, Biology and Philosophy, English Minor, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, 2002
Dr. Caranasos' CV (.pdf)