MED Program Requirements
North Carolina residents receive preference and typically constitute 80-85% of participants. Applicants from other states are also welcome to apply.
The program consists of selected students admitted to the medical and dental schools at UNC and pre-medical or pre-dental applicants with one year remaining before desired application to professional school. All such participants are either rising seniors or postgraduates and must be deemed as disadvantaged in some way to be eligible. Refer to FAQ for clarification of disadvantaged status. Current applicants to professional school whose results are still pending by the program's deadline are invited to submit an application along with an explanation of the circumstances. The program typically enrolls at least 80 students per summer (60 pre-medical, 20 pre-dental).
Academic prerequisites are passing grades in Organic Chemistry (Part 1) and your other science and math courses to prove a solid background in the major biological and physical sciences that are preparatory for medical or dental school. Other factors include motivation, a personal story, and a cumulative science GPA of 2.75 or higher is strongly recommended for realistic consideration.
Completed files should include:
- Online application and essays;
- To be sent as one packet to the Office of Special Programs, c/o MED Program
- Official cumulative transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended;
- At least two letters of evaluation from advisors or instructors familiar with your academic background and personal motivation (preferably at least one from a science program);
- Update resume or CV;
- (Optional, if claiming financial disadvantage status) A copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR Report) [generated from your Financial Aid Form (FAFSA)] or your most recent tax form and your parent's (if claimed as a dependent) for verification purposes
Note: MCAT / DAT scores are not required for admittance to the MED Program.
The Schools of Medicine and Dentistry cover all instructional costs (i.e. tuition, texts, housing, etc.) for all participants. A stipend is awarded to qualifying applicants.