MED Program Requirements
North Carolina residents receive preference and typically constitute 80-85% of participants. Applicants from other states are also welcome to apply.
The program consists of selected students admitted to the medical and dental schools at UNC and pre-medical or pre-dental applicants with one year remaining before desired application to professional school. All such participants are either rising seniors or postgraduates and must be deemed as disadvantaged in some way to be eligible. Refer to FAQ for clarification of disadvantaged status. Current applicants to professional school whose results are still pending by the program's deadline are invited to submit an application along with an explanation of the circumstances. The program typically enrolls at least 80 students per summer (60 pre-medical, 20 pre-dental).
Academic prerequisites are passing grades in Organic Chemistry (Part 1) and your other science and math courses to prove a solid background in the major biological and physical sciences that are preparatory for medical or dental school. Other factors include motivation, a personal story, and a cumulative science GPA of 2.75 or higher is strongly recommended for realistic consideration.
All parts must be completed for your application to be considered complete. All parts need to be submitted by Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 4:00pm.
- Complete the online application - available via our website mid-October 2016
- In a single application packet, please also include hard copies of the following to the address below (postmarked by Tuesday, January 17, 2017).
- Official cumulative transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended.
- At least two letters of evaluation from advisors or instructors familiar with your academic background and personal motivation (at least one from a science faculty or instructor).
- Updated resume or CV. Please include any health related activities, academic honors, academic program participation, research, academic honors, awards or other recognitions as well as work experience.
- FINANCIAL FORM(S) (Optional, if claiming financial disadvantage status) A copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR Report) [generated from your Financial Aid Form (FAFSA)] or your most recent tax form and/or your parents’ (if claimed as a dependent) for verification purposes.
- PHOTO: (Optional, if you would like, you may include a hard copy of your photo in the packet)
Note: MCAT / DAT scores are not required for admittance to the MED Program.
The Schools of Medicine and Dentistry cover all instructional costs (i.e. tuition, texts, housing, etc.) for all participants. A stipend is awarded to qualifying applicants.